Should you have any questions regarding the application process, our Recruitment Team is ready to help you at Apply@cdph.ca.gov.
This position supports the California Department of Public Health’s (CDPH) mission and strategic plan by acting as the Legislative and Policy Specialist for the Center for Healthy Communities (CHC), as well as, incorporating health equity into all policies.
The incumbent works under the direction of the Staff Services Manager II (SSM II), Operations Section Chief. The Health Program Specialist II (HPS II) is a highly skilled, subject matter expert and technical consultant in the areas of policy analysis, program development, and strategic planning. The HPS II independently reviews and tracks legislative bill analyses for the ten branches and two offices in CHC to create alignment of policies and incorporation of strategic priorities across programs. Independently reviews and interprets complex documents and reports, such as legislative reports, legislative bill analyses and regulations, and makes cross-cutting policy decisions, provides recommendations to the SSM II, the Deputy Director, and Assistant Deputy Directors. Researches health policy and analyzes data for inclusion in legislative proposals and analyses. Provides technical assistance and guidance to legislative staff working in CHC branches and offices and acts as the liaison with the Department’s Office of Legislative and Governmental Affairs. Serves as the audit coordinator for CHC and acts as the liaison with the Office of Compliance. 5% in-state travel may be required, with possible overnight stays.
Please let us know how you heard about our position by taking this brief survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CDPHRecruitment
You will find additional information about the job in the Duty Statement.
You will find the Minimum Requirements in the Class Specification: HEALTH PROGRAM SPECIALIST II
In addition to evaluating each candidate’s relative ability, as demonstrated by quality and breadth of experience, the following factors will provide the basis for competitively evaluating each candidate:
- Experience working within a very fast paced, Executive Level Office, with experience handling multiple competing priorities and shifting expectations.
- Experience reviewing policy and legislative proposals and analyses.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal skills with experience working within a team-oriented environment, on both small and large teams.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to pay attention to details and understand how details play an integral role in the work required.
- Strong analytical skills, to include detailed problem resolution skills and the ability to make sound recommendations as a result of these actions; approaches a problem using a logical, systematic, and sequential approach.
- Self-motivated and strong work ethic.
Job Code #: JC-349160
Position #(s): 580-300-8336-010
Working Title: Legislative and Policy Specialist
Classification: HEALTH PROGRAM SPECIALIST II
$6,658.00 – $8,334.00 monthly
# of Positions: 1
Work Location: Sacramento County
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
About California Department of Public Health
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) works to protect the public's health in the Golden State and helps shape positive health outcomes for individuals, families and communities. The Department's programs and services, implemented in collaboration with local health departments and state, federal and private partners, touch the lives of every Californian and visitor to the state 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our Shared Vision
CDPH public health professionals, researchers, scientists, doctors, nurses, and other staff members have a shared vision to protect and improve the health of all Californians. We are dedicated to public service and passionate about our work and the people and communities we serve and protect.