Under the supervision of the Center to Improve Veteran Involvement in Care (CIVIC) Principal Investigator (PI), Dr. Kathleen Carlson, the Senior Research Assistant will work within a research team to achieve the study aims of multiple research projects focused primarily on firearm injury prevention. The Senior Research Assistant will perform a variety of tasks, across research projects, that include coordinating with multiple team members, partners, and collaborators, organizing project meetings, and providing other administrative support, as needed. Other duties may include assisting with Institutional Review Board approvals, managing participant enrollment and databases, recruiting and consenting/enrolling research participants, managing research participant reimbursement, scheduling study interviews, mailing surveys, abstracting and entering data, conducting medical chart reviews with adherence to a study protocol, helping with grant and report preparation, and contributing to the writing and preparation of scholarly manuscripts and presentations of study findings.
We are currently hiring for 2 positions; one full-time Senior Research Assistant and one part-time.
Function/Duties of Position
- Coordinating research team and collaborators, organizing meetings, and providing general administrative support to the research team
- Assisting with Institutional Review Board approvals and other regulatory compliance processes; maintaining correspondence from approving entities and tracking compliance deadlines
- Recruiting and consenting/enrolling research participants and managing participant databases and tracking enrollment
- Scheduling study participants and/or mailing/emailing surveys; tracking survey responses
- Managing research participant reimbursement
- Entering data from collected surveys/interviews and/or abstracting data from databases including medical charts/records
- Helping with grant preparation and report writing
- Contributing to the writing and preparation of scholarly manuscripts and presentations of study findings
- Bachelor’s in relevant field and 1 year of relevant experience or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Basic project management skills
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and guidelines that govern projects, preferably research-based projects or demonstrated transferable skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize project goals
- Strong conceptual, analytic, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Rigorous attention to detail and record keeping
- Resourcefulness and sound professional/ethical judgment
- Commitment to contributing to an inclusive working environment
Please upload a CV/resume and cover letter to be considered for this position.
About Center to Improve Veteran Involvement in Care (CIVIC)
The Center to Improve Veteran Involvement in Care (CIVIC), a Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D) Center of Innovation (COIN), located at VA Portland Health Care System (VAPORHCS), was founded in October 2013. CIVIC’s mission is to conduct research that empowers Veterans to improve their health through engagement in self-care, engagement with VA and non-VA healthcare systems, and engagement in the research process. This mission directly supports VHA’s 2018-2024 strategic objectives, VHA’s Whole Health Initiative Flagship program, HSR&D and other VHA priorities.