*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis.
CDC Office and Location: A research opportunity is currently available with the Office of the Director (OD) at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) located in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is one of the major operation components of the Department of Health and Human Services. CDC works to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
Research Project: Under the guidance of a mentor, the research participant will learn how to conduct activities focused on doing a literature review and assisting with communication research, including message and data visualization testing, and compiling audience analysis data into actionable reports. The participant will have the opportunity to collaborate directly with team leadership and other communication experts at CDC.
Learning Objectives: As a result of this training, the participant will improve their skills in understanding data quality, federal data, data visualization, and how to synthesize and organize findings.
– Design, evaluate and improve upon methods used to collect, analyze, and integrate new and existing communication products that are managed by the team.
– Prepare methods and materials for qualitative and quantitative testing.
– Analyze qualitative and quantitative data on messages and data visualizations.
– Develop reports compiling and summarizing data to inform messaging and creation of communication materials.
– Participate in other projects within the team as needed related to health communications/project management and reporting/communication needs.
– Collaborate with partner organizations to disseminate tailored information through a variety of mediums.
– Contribute to the development of dashboards and reports to support program management.
Mentor(s): The mentor for this opportunity is Rachel Ciccarone (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have questions about the nature of the research please contact the mentor(s).
Anticipated Appointment Start Date: January 3, 2023. Start date is flexible and will depend on a variety of factors.
Appointment Length: The appointment will initially be for one year, but may be renewed for up to five years upon recommendation of CDC and is contingent on the availability of funds.
Level of Participation: The appointment is full-time.
Participant Stipend: The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with educational level and experience.
Citizenship Requirements: This opportunity is available to U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR).
ORISE Information: This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and CDC. Participants do not become employees of CDC, DOE or the program administrator, and there are no employment-related benefits. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. Health insurance can be obtained through ORISE.
The successful applicant(s) will be required to comply with Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) requirements of the hosting facility, including but not limited to, COVID-19 requirements (e.g. facial covering, physical distancing, testing, vaccination).
Questions: Please visit our Program Website. After reading, if you have additional questions about the application process please email ORISE.CDC.OD@orau.org and include the reference code for this opportunity.
The qualified candidate should have received a master’s degree in one of the relevant fields or be currently pursuing the degree with completion by December 31, 2022 11:59pm. Degree must have been received within the past five years.
– Background in health communication
– Excellent oral and written communication skills
– Experience with Microsoft suite of products
– Solid data analysis skills/understanding of communication metrics
– Project management experience
Ability to multi-task