SENIOR HEALTH EDUCATION SPECIALIST – TEMPORARY
Violence Prevention Program
Salary: $6,555.93 – $7,968.78 Monthly
Contra Costa Health Services currently has a temporary opportunity for a Senior Health Education Specialist in our Violence Prevention Program (VPP).
The Violence Prevention Program works to strengthen coordination, capacity and partnerships to address the root causes of violence, and to advance policies and practices that are grounded in equity, to prevent all forms of violence and to promote healing across all communities in Contra Costa County. Utilizing the framework of health equity as its core, VPP will achieve the aforementioned through violence prevention education, partnering with community stakeholders and policymakers, and supporting efforts that lead to policy, systems and environmental change.
Responsibilities of the position may include, but are not limited to:
· Utilizing a public health prevention framework and health equity lens, will provide technical assistance to community members and/or organizations to support program and policy objectives as outlined in the strategic county-wide reduction plan.
· Plan, conduct and evaluate the health education and health prevention aspects of departmental programs and recommends policies to protect and promote public health.
· Research and analyze current trends in reducing the negative impacts associated with the social determinants of health that contribute to various forms of violence and make recommendations for project activities and policy, systems and environmental (PSE) change.
Knowledge, skills and abilities under this position include:
· Principles, theories, techniques and practices of public and community health education including the social determinants of health, relationships of cultural patterns in human behavior, and effective strategies for reducing health disparities and violence.
· The ability to apply this knowledge to the process of education and motivation with individuals and groups.
· Structure of government, of public health procedures, and of methods and effectiveness of various mass communication media.
· Public health and related functions of official and voluntary organizations on the federal, state and local levels.
· Knowledge of current best practices and policies to prevent and reduce various forms of violence.
· Provide training, technical assistance, and support for program partners, subcontractors, local community based and government agencies utilizing PSE strategies to improve built environment in order to reduce violence.
· Support efforts to update data reports utilizing both quantitative and qualitative indicators to illustrate the environmental and social factors contributing to various forms of violence in Contra Costa County.
· Conduct needs assessments and prepare reports and recommendations on community health needs and services available to meet them.
· Provide and promote excellence in customer service for both internal and external customers.
· Acknowledge and respect cultural and linguistic differences of the County’s diverse population.
· Speak fluently and convincingly to the public.
· Arrange and conduct public meetings.
· Deal tactfully with employees, officials, community leaders and the public.
· Write clear and concise reports.
· Ability to partner with community groups, residents, other county and city staff, and professionals in the fields that interact with perpetrators and victims of violence.
· Maintains consistent and predictable attendance and sufficient level of punctuality to meet mandated requirements and deadlines.
· Organize and arrange discussion groups on violence prevention.
· Develop and facilitate engaging presentations to educate community members and agencies about the issue.
· Represent VPP at community events and in public venues.
License Required: Possession of a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License. Out-of-state valid motor vehicle operator’s license will be accepted during the application process.
Education: Possession of a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Public Health, Health Services Administration, Social Work, Health Education, Education, Sports Medicine, Kinesiology, Nutrition or a closely related field.
Experience: One year of full-time, or its equivalent, which included direct responsibility for performing health promotion, health prevention or community health education work.
Substitution for Education: A Bachelor’s degree and two years of full-time, or its equivalent, experience in a health services agency or program performing health promotion, health prevention or health education work may be substituted for the Master’s degree. No substitution is permitted for a Bachelor’s degree.
Positions which function as health educators pursuant to Section 1303 of Title 17 of the California Administrative Code must possess a Master’s degree in Public Health with specialization in health education obtained in a program of study approved by the American Public Health Association.
Additional Requirements: Must be willing to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and a reliable, fully insured automobile. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to write clear and concise reports, keep detailed records, and work well both independently and as a team member required. Knowledge of violence prevention preferred.
Closing Date: Continuous
For consideration, please submit your resume and cover to Hisham Alibob at Hisham.email@example.com
Contra Costa Health Services is committed to creating a diverse workforce at all levels of employment. Candidates from diverse communities are highly encouraged to apply. It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military, or veteran.
About Contra Costa County Health Services
See ad copy.