PUBLIC HEALTH MICROBIOLOGIST I
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate’s qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the item listed below:
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found (page 18) shall receive an additional forty $0.40 cents per hour for all hours paid.
This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open eligible list to fill current and future vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
The County of Orange Health Care Agency (HCA) is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven (7) service areas – Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health and Public Health – is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.
The Public Health Laboratory provides specialized laboratory testing for assessing, investigating, and analyzing health needs of the public.
Health Care Agency is recruiting for a Public Health Microbiologist I to perform standardized microbiological testing in areas, such as bacteriology, mycobacteriology (TB), parasitology, virology and water quality for the detection of communicable disease causing agents. The incumbents will be critical in maintaining the quality of testing that Orange County Public Health Laboratory provides to a variety of clients and programs.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will be detailed- oriented and an excellent team player who is committed to providing a high level of microbiological testing, analysis and identification. The incumbents will have the ability to follow policies and procedures, adhere to safety rules and precautions, and conduct technical laboratory testing and analysis of a standardized and generally recurring nature using well defined procedures.
In order to be considered for a Public Health Microbiologist I position, candidates must attach a copy of their Public Health Microbiologist certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health to their application.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following core competencies:
- Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
- Knowledge of microbiological and serological concepts, principles, and techniques that can be applied to public health laboratory testing
- Utilizing traditional microbiological and molecular methods to test and analyze communicable disease organisms such as Hepatitis, HIV, Tuberculosis, Salmonella, Gonorrhea, and Influenza.
- Applying universal precautions to laboratory hazards associated with laboratory testing
- Understanding and following policies, processes and procedures involving the handling and acceptability of specimens containing agents of concern such as: blood, sputum, stool, urine and others
- Conducting different microbiological testing/examination methods and interpreting results for accurate identification of agents
- Operating technical laboratory equipment, performing routine functional checks, and maintaining proper documentation
- Performing and recording quality control activities, following appropriate regulations, and adhering to quality assurance program guidelines
- Utilizing the Laboratory Information System at different phases of the testing process
- Communication Skills
- Communicating professionally with clients when giving/explaining laboratory results and answering technical questions
- Planning and Organization
- Prioritizing work and meeting established deadline by setting objectives and goals to achieve maximum productivity
- Developing and maintaining effective systems to manage multiple tasks and track information
Click here to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Public Health Microbiologist I classification as well as the physical and mental requirements and the environmental and working conditions.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.
Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here to review the policy.
Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant’s rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant’s qualifications for the job.
Based on the Department’s needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures.
Once the assessment process has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders. (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with “governmentjobs.com” and “ocgov.com.” If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Liza Butler at 714-834-2069 or EButler@ochca.com.
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.