Overview

Position Summary

The Center for Health Measurement in the Department of Population Health Sciences at Duke University School of Medicine invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow interested in clinical outcomes assessments, survey methodology, psychometric evaluation, and/or stated-preference research. The MaRS Postdoctoral Fellow will join a multi-disciplinary research team that conducts innovative patient-centered outcomes research to bring the voices of the patients and caregivers more directly into care planning, treatment decisions, and health policy.

Receive one-on-one training by a Duke faculty mentor with expertise in clinical outcomes assessments (patient-reported, observer-reported, clinician-reported, and performance outcomes), patient preference assessment, regulatory science, and/or stakeholder engagement

  • Conduct independent research activities under the guidance of an industry mentor and a Duke faculty mentor
  • Complete a tailored program with a core set of competencies, including:
    • Designing, selecting or evaluating clinical outcomes assessments (COAs)
    • Integrating COAs in clinical trials
    • Survey methods for valuing outcomes and assessing preferences
    • Patient-focused drug and device development
  • Transition to a career in industry when the postdoctoral fellowship is finished

Fellowship Structure

The term of the appointment is two years. Approximately 80% of the time in Year 1 is spent training in Durham, NC under the mentorship of a Duke Faculty member, while the remaining 20% is spent receiving mentoring from an industry partner. In Year 2, 80% of the Fellow’s time is spent training with an industry partner, and Duke Faculty will provide mentoring for the remaining 20%.

Year 1 is focused on strengthening skills via didactic training and participation in ongoing studies involving COAs. During this time, postdocs may attend graduate-level courses offered through Duke’s Department of Population Health Science’s graduate program or other ad hoc courses offered throughout Duke. The individual will participate in a mentored research project on patient-centered outcomes research.

Year 2 is focused on real-world, experiential patient-centered research with the industry partner. The postdoctoral fellow will continue to conduct a mentored project that is both related to patient-centered research and can contribute to regulatory decision-making and policymaking, under the guidance of an industry mentor and a Duke faculty mentor.

Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:

  • PhD, DrPH, ScD, MD, or other doctoral degree in public health, psychometrics, education measurement, biostatistics, medical sociology/anthropology, nursing, medicine, quantitative psychology, or a related field
  • At least two semesters of quantitative coursework
  • Ability to move to Durham, NC for first year of the program
  • Exceptional communicator in both written and oral form

Preferred education experience and skills:

  • Prior experience with health outcomes research
  • Experience with additional methodological work (quantitative or qualitative)
  • A strong desire to work in industry or a regulatory environment

For more information, please contact Molly McFatrich at molly.mcfatrich@duke.edu

Visit our Website For More Information: https://populationhealth.duke.edu/research/center-health-measurement-chm/measurement-and-regulatory-science-mars-postdoctoral

About Duke University School of Medicine

Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve human health locally and around the globe.

Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.