Title: Manager, Editorial Services
Department: External Affairs
Location: Washington, DC or remote
Reports To: Vice President, External Affairs
Direct Reports: Associate Officer, Editorial Services
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
How will you fight for an AIDS-free generation?
The External Affairs team works to market and promote EGPAF’s high quality work to a broad range of audiences. The Editorial Services team, within External Affairs, plays an important role in ensuring every major publication is technically accurate and aligned with our global messaging guide and brand. The Editorial Services team works predominantly with Medical and Scientific Affairs units to promote documentation of best practices in our programs, to edit all content destined for external distribution and to strategically market and grow disseminate our work across external platforms.
Enhance and Ensure High Quality of External Publications
The Manager, Editorial Services plays an important role in driving and enhancing quality of EGPAF’s written products, ensuring careful editorial review of every asset destined for external publication and dissemination. The Manager, Editorial Services manages a body of reviewers known as the Publications Steering Committee (PSC). This committee vets all materials featuring EGPAF logo before publication. Through management of this committee the Manager, Editorial Services communicates with a variety of staff from field-based officers to executive vice presidents on document reviews. Effective management of the PSC also requires impeccable organizational and multitasking skills, as all documents must be tracked and kept moving through a comprehensive review system.
Lead EGPAF Presence at Conferences/Events
The Manager, Editorial Services also plays a role in guiding EGPAF’s presence at scientific conferences and events; ensuring abstracts are high quality, well-written and submitted on time; ensuring that all EGPAF presentations are thoroughly reviewed and perfected; and driving wide dissemination of EGPAF at these events and across digital platforms.
To drive higher quality deliverables and optimize internal planning, the Manager, Editorial Services works with EGPAF Country Teams to develop comprehensive documentation plans, to enhance country communications efforts while ensuring that these components of EGPAF’s knowledge base inform our work at global and country levels. The jointly developed documentation plans emphasize objective setting, strategy definition, assignment of actions, target audience identification, selection of document type, determination of production schedules and budgets, and dissemination of the finished product.
Growing External Dissemination
Digital dissemination platforms have taken on enhanced significance during COVID-19. External Affairs has invested in a technical webinar platform E2A (Evidence to Action), a series of high level, timely panel discussions focused on issues of significance to EGPAF and our external stakeholders. The Manager, Editorial Services will develop, organize and lead these webinars, in close collaboration with MSA colleagues and the Senior Coordinator, External Affairs. The Manager, Editorial Services will also collaborate closely with the Senior Manager, Digital Marketing to develop regular EGPAF Impact email messages to drive external engagement with select technical content, as well as to continuously grow digital dissemination opportunities for EGPAF across LinkedIn and other relevant platforms.
Oversee the day-to-day activities of the function of the Associate Officer, Documentation and Editorial Services. Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual, and performance appraisals.
No two days are alike at EGPAF, but what can you expect as a Manager, Editorial Services?
· Work with staff across EGPAF to strategize and plan for documentation, marketing and dissemination opportunities
· Support EGPAF staff, predominantly in technical, medical and scientific affairs to write publications, ensuring all are of the highest-quality
· Lead EGPAF Publication Steering Committee (PSC), a committee of subject matter experts who review all published products authored by EGPAF staff and destined for external consumption. Work closely with Associate Officer, Documentation and Editorial Services to ensure effective tracking, copyediting and troubleshooting of the process.
· Lead copyediting on technical documents intended for external audiences, and also manage this workflow at the officer level.
· Develop and update high-impact deliverables: ensuring global and country fact sheets and web pages are up-to-date with latest quarterly EGPAF and global epidemic data and latest EGPAF movement across awards and projects across all countries.
· Help to feed into marketing outlets; positioning content to a bi-monthly e-mail listserv; managing content inflow to our website and across social media.
· Manage an external webinar series for EGPAF, including planning, creating the invite, managing tech and holding a recorded and livestreamed event.
· EGPAF maintains a strategic presence at several major conferences and global events to highlight on our technical expertise, approaches and best practices. In this role, the Manager, Editorial Services will:
o Working hand-in-hand with Vice President, Research to lead the development of high-quality conference abstracts and smooth submission process, with strong support and collaboration with the Officer of Documentation.
o Manage EGPAF presence at global conferences
§ Work with Senior Coordinator, External Affairs to manage EGPAF’s presence at global conferences (posters, oral presentations, booth, satellite, panel discussion)
§ Review all abstract, symposia, poster and oral submissions and ensure they follow PSC process
§ Develop materials for conference delegates and website (delegate guide, web text)
§ Develop promotional material for these events (invite content, web content, newsletter content)
To be successful, you will have:
· BS/BA in related field
· 8 years of relevant experience
· 5+ years of experience in writing and editing
· 5+ years of experience in health communications
· Strong attention to detail, enhanced organizational and multitasking skills
· Clarity in day-to-day communications
· Knowledge of HIV and AIDS
Bonus points if you have:
· Ability to work in a global health setting communicating across various channels and time zones
· Promotion and dissemination of editorial content
· Knowledge of Adobe, InDesign, Illustrator, and AirTable
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) is on a mission to create a world where no mother, child, or family is devastated by HIV and AIDS, and we are making an impact. We are a proven leader in the global fight to end HIV and AIDS, and an advocate for every child to live a full and healthy life into adulthood. For more than 30 years, EGPAF has been a leader in meeting urgent needs in pediatric HIV and AIDS in the world’s most affected regions. We carry out our values of passion, innovation, teamwork, leadership, integrity, excellence and equity every day, while maximizing our impact in the communities we serve. Join us on our fight for an AIDS-free generation!
As a global, multinational and multicultural organization, EGPAF believes that diversity in the workplace enriches our work and enhances our impact and effectiveness. We believe that employees have the right to work in a climate of mutual respect and integrity that promotes dignity and respect for all, and that enables them to reach their full potential. The Foundation is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEI&B), and we strongly encourage those with the following identities to apply: BIPOC, women and non-binary, LGBTQIA+, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and other members of historically underrepresented communities.
EGPAF is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to country law requirements, EGPAF complies with US laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Foundation has facilities.
The Foundation does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process. If you are asked to pay a fee at any stage of recruitment, please contact email@example.com.
About Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, a non-profit organization, is the world leader in the fight to eliminate pediatric AIDS. Our mission is to prevent pediatric HIV infection and to eliminate pediatric AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention and treatment programs. For more information, please visit http://www.pedaids.org.