Connect passion with purpose. The Georgia Department of Public Health is the lead agency entrusted by the people of Georgia to proudly protect lives and promote healthy lifestyles in diverse communities statewide. We are committed to the health of the population of Georgia as our work impacts past, present and future generations.
What we offer. Enjoy a generous benefits package that includes a flexible work schedule, unique training opportunities, engaging worksite wellness events, wellness breaks, lactation rooms, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 13 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance; in addition to telework opportunities depending on the position.
Make your mark in public service. As an accredited public health department, we’re seeking a highly qualified candidate for the position of General Ledger Accountant within the Division of Finance, Accounting Section.
Won’t you join us?
Under broad supervision, performs or oversees the development, implementation and monitoring of accounting activity for a department or agency. Analyzes financial information and programs, identifies financial trends, makes recommendations to management and prepares a full range of financial reports, including specialized or non-standard reports.
Performs accounting function for the general ledger section within the Division of Finance, Office of Financial Services. Serves as a liaison between the general ledger section and other sections within the Department.
- Performs job responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Performs daily and monthly reconciliations for bank accounts and sub-ledgers
- Reconciliations for federal, state, and other fund sources which include draw adjustments
- Complete weekly & monthly reconciliations of federal, state, and other fund sources
- Researches variances and prepares adjusting entries as needed
- Reviews financial reports for completeness and accuracy
- Complete monthly, quarterly and year-end closing activities
- Complete assigned year-end financial reports within the established deadlines
- Serves as a job expert/organization resource in assigned area
- Ensure that all entries are processed timely and accurately in the financial system
- Prepare and review supporting documentation for all journal entries
- Assist with updating departmental policies and procedures for related area
- Maintains well organized files for supporting documentation and general ledger files
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of State Accounting Office (SAO) policies and procedures for assigned area
- Ensures that duties are performed in accordance with established internal controls and guidelines
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Excel (Pivot Tables), excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles and standards.
- Understanding of federal and state accounting policies and procedures.
- Understanding of elements of an effective internal control system.
- Ability to prepare, analyze, interpret spreadsheets and other financial reports and effectively communicate results/outcomes with management.
- Ability to organize and present financial information in a useful and easily understandable format.
Master’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university AND One year of professional accounting experience,
Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university AND Two years of professional accounting experience,
Bachelor’s degree in a business curriculum which included completion of introductory and intermediate accounting sequence from an accredited college or university AND Three years of professional accounting experience.
Note: Some positions may require certifications.
- Must have strong analytical and reconciliation skills
- Previous experience with federal grant awards
- Previous public sector or non-profit experience
About Georgia Department of Public Health
Georgia Department of Public Health Commissioner and leaders encourages all employees to engage in regular wellness activities and to make lifestyle choices that promote health and well-being.
The use of wellness breaks during the workday is authorized to support this philosophy and assist employees in meeting their wellness goals. A maximum of 30 minutes in a given workday may be used to engage in wellness activities, generally in the form of two 15-minute breaks or one 30-minute break.
Current State employees are subject to State Personnel Board rules regarding salary.
DPH accepts educational credential recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and/or the US Department of Education (DOE) will be considered. DPH will contact educational institutions to verify degree, diploma, licensure, etc.
The candidate selected for this position may be subject to pre-employment drug screening and a criminal background check.
As an employee of DPH, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.
If you require accommodations under the American Disability Act (ADA), email request by the closing date of this announcement to: DPH-HR@dph.ga.gov.
DPH is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All qualified applicants will be considered, but may not necessarily receive an interview. Selected applicants will be contacted by the hiring agency for next steps in the selection process. Applicants who are not selected will not receive notification.
This position is subject to close at any time once a satisfactory applicant pool has been identified.
TO APPLY: In order to successfully apply for a position; the hiring agency requires interested applicants to complete the GA Department of Public Health’s Online Employment Application.
This job application can be found at www.dph.georgia.gov. Click on "About DPH" and then “Careers” and locate this position, click “Apply” and begin your application.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY FOR THIS POSITION AT www.dph.georgia.gov