Health Equity Solutions is seeking a strategic, visionary, and dynamic Executive Director to lead its groundbreaking work to eliminate health inequity in Connecticut.
Connecticut is one of the wealthiest states in the United States. It has some of the best doctors and hospitals and is the health insurance capital of the world. The state is often heralded as one of the nation’s healthiest states, but Connecticut also has some of the greatest health disparities. Black and Latino residents are more likely to live in poorer health and, for Black residents, to die younger.
Since 2014, Health Equity Solutions has been a leader in advocating for policy and community-centered solutions that address structural inequity surrounding health and wellness. Health Equity Solutions has an impressive track record of victories, including establishing and being appointed chair of the Commission on Racial Equity in Public Health, ensuring the funding of more community health workers, and mobilizing over7,000 people across the state to participate in advocacy efforts.
Today, Health Equity Solutions’ work is more important than ever. The COVID-19 pandemic exposed the magnitude of health inequity, and there is momentum to reduce health disparities and address systemic racism.
Health Equity Solutions’ success has led to its rapid growth; the organization has tripled in size in the past several years. Health Equity Solutions is seen as an authority on the issues and is a trusted thought partner to lawmakers, community partners, and advocates.
As the organization’s second-ever Executive Director, the new leader will have an incredible opportunity to provide visionary leadership and set the course for the organization’s next chapter.
ABOUT HEALTH EQUITY SOLUTIONS
Health Equity Solutions is dedicated to promoting policies, programs, and practices that result in equitable health care access, delivery, and outcomes for all people in Connecticut. Before its inception, no single organization was dedicated to advancing health equity through policy and advocacy initiatives in the state. Consequently, in 2014, Health Equity Solutions was founded to address these needs. It has since become a well-respected authority on health equity nationally.
Health Equity Solutions’ vision is that every Connecticut resident attains optimal health regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status. Health Equity Solutions catalyzes change through policy, advocacy, trainings, and workshops and is guided by a three-pronged approach: Educate, Agitate, and Advocate.
Health Equity Solutions’ practices are grounded in community voice and community-informed policy agendas, guided by the belief that the best advocacy and information comes directly from the communities that those policies will most impact.
As one of Connecticut’s most effective advocacy organizations, Health Equity Solutions leads the way in centering race and equity in how decision-makers think about and address health.
The next Executive Director will build upon the success of Health Equity Solutions over the last eight years and guide the organization into its next chapter. The next leader will continue to push health equity issues to the forefront and inspire lawmakers, advocates, and other stakeholders to act.
The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors, closely collaborate with an outstanding staff, and hold overall strategic and operational responsibility for Health Equity Solution’s achievement of its mission, programs, growth, and sustainability.
A passionate advocate, the Executive Director will have an unwavering commitment to advancing equity and improving health outcomes while serving as an innovator who identifies emerging issues and strategic policy opportunities.
The Executive Director will have a talent for communicating transformative and ambitious ideas and bringing an understanding of how public policy decisions are made.
The Executive Director will forge powerful relationships with stakeholders, including funders, community partners, advocates, policy experts, and elected officials.
The Executive Director will demonstrate the ability to work cross-culturally with a diverse range of health-related and community-based organizations. The next leader will bring substantial experience in developing partnerships and connections with funders and will nurture existing donor relationships while cultivating new funding sources.
The Executive Director will be a leading statewide voice on the urgent need to address systemic health inequity for Connecticut residents.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional strategist, a dynamic leader with a command of advocacy, power-building, and systems change, and a commitment to dismantling structural racism.
Vision and Leadership
- Develop strategies to eliminate racial and ethnic health disparities in Connecticut
- Voice a clear, compelling vision for the organization that galvanizes the team, funders, partners, and advocates
- Leverage knowledge of policy and advocacy to drive impactful programs and identify strategic legislative opportunities to advance health equity
- Embody Health Equity Solutions’ commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Lead Health Equity Solutions’ fundraising to grow the organization’s capacity and sustainability
- Sharpen the strategic plan to diversify funding sources and oversee its implementation, including through the organization’s earned-revenue social enterprise
- Build new and expand existing relationships and create engagement opportunities with government entities, foundations, corporate sponsors, and individual donors
- Inspire confidence in Health Equity Solutions’ work and create a network of committed, engaged supporters
Communications and External Leadership
- Serve as a leading voice on health equity issues in Connecticut
- Raise the profile of Health Equity Solutions and the importance of health equity through thought leadership, partnerships, and relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including community partners, elected officials, corporate leaders, and advocates
- Work cross-culturally to build trusting relationships with a diverse range of health-related and community-based organizations
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; seek and build board engagement with strategy, governance, financial oversight, and resource development
- Oversee the organization’s internal operations, policies, and procedures
- Empower, support, and inspire a dynamic group of passionate and mission-driven staff
- Promote collaboration amongst all staff, including strengthening the alignment of goals and roles, fostering open communication, and deepening a culture of accountability, transparency, and inclusivity
The next Executive Director of Health Equity Solutions will be:
- Deeply passionate about health equity and dismantling systemic racism
- An inspiring leader who can sharpen Health Equity Solutions’ vision and strategy and organize people around that vision and strategy
- A dedicated advocate who understands policymaking and can navigate high-level politics
- An influential fundraiser who can build meaningful relationships with funders and donors
- An inspiring and compelling communicator who is comfortable in front of a variety of audiences
- A thoughtful manager who strengthens internal processes, empowers staff, and creates a positive workplace culture
CANDIDATE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Health Equity Solutions recognizes that the next Executive Director could bring various experiences and backgrounds to the role. We are seeking candidates with a compelling leadership background who will bring a majority of the following to the role:
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity
- 10+ years of experience in health equity, public health, or other issues related to systemic racism
- Experience developing organizational strategies to achieve immediate and long-term goals
- A proven track record of successfully leading programs, teams, or organizations, including setting, supporting, and achieving impactful goals
- Experience in fundraising and grant writing to grow an organization’s financial sustainability and building successful relationships with funders and donors, including attracting new sources of revenue
- Understanding of legislative politics and nonprofit advocacy
- Ability to navigate high-level politics around an issue with levels of nuance. Demonstrated success working cross-culturally and building authentic relationships
- Superb interpersonal skills with an impressive history of forging strong relationships with funders, stakeholders, and allies
- Outstanding communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work with and support an engaged Board of Directors
- Staff management experience with a talent for empowering and supporting staff
- Commitment to creating a healthy and inclusive workplace environment
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Public Administration, Social Work, or a related field is preferred
The salary range for this position is $150,000-$175,000, commensurate with experience.
This position is based in Hartford, CT. The Executive Director should expect to travel throughout the state as necessary.
Health Equity Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a healthy and inclusive environment for our workplace and community.