Reporting directly to the Senior Data Manager (Senior Staff Associate II), the Data Manager (Staff Associate II) is responsible for document review and data management aspects of nationally representative population-based surveys in sub-Saharan Africa and Haiti designed to assess the impact of PEPFAR-supported HIV prevention, care and treatment programs as well as other surveys. Works in conjunction with ICAP country teams and a sub-contracted research corporation to ensure the development and implementation of tablet and cloud-based systems to collect, manage and clean high-quality survey data. Provides support in this area to PEPFAR, Ministries of Health and ICAP country teams.
- Supports development of specification documents (including consent forms, questionnaires, other survey forms) to define requirements for tablet-based data collection. (20%)
- Reviews and identifies inconsistencies within specification documents and with other project materials (e.g. protocols, amendments, training materials, etc.), and liaises with the survey coordination team and ICAP country teams to resolve inconsistencies. (20%)
- Maintains and tracks document versions. (5%)
- Tests, identifies, and tracks errors that arise with data collection tools. Conducts data quality checks under guidance of Senior Data Manager. (10%)
- Tests mapping tools used during data collection. (5%)
- Uses mapping tools to monitor data collection. (5%)
- Drafts standard operating procedures for data management and data collection. (5%)
- Supports trainings of field teams on tablet usage for data collection. (10%)
- Provides remote and in-country support to ICAP country teams on data management aspects of the surveys, including training teams on using tablets and troubleshooting data collection challenges that arise with tablets. (5%)
- Supports data monitoring and data cleaning. (5%)
- Programs survey forms in Survey CTO or similar software. (5%)
- Performs other related duties as directed. (5%)
- Requires periodic international travel to support data management and cleaning with each trip lasting approximately five (5) to ten (10) days in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in epidemiology, public health, or related field or equivalent in education, training and/or experience and four years of related experience.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum four (4) years of related experience managing and working directly with data collection tools and databases from large research studies.
- Demonstrated experience designing and troubleshooting electronic data collection tools, especially tablets and mobile device data capture applications.
- Demonstrated experience conducting data quality checks.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Ability to work independently and manage various tasks under tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or related field.
- Demonstrated and successful experience managing and analyzing large, population-based survey data.
- Familiarity with data collection software such as CSPro, SurveyCTO, RedCap, Open Data Kit (ODK), etc.
- Familiarity with mapping/GIS software such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Knowledge and experience working on issues related to HIV/AIDS.
- Proficiency working with data management systems in resource-limited settings.
- Experience working in resource-limited environments in sub-Saharan Africa a plus.
- Proficiency with SAS, Stata, R, or similar statistical software.