Working under the direct supervision of the Interim Associate Director of Financial Planning, the Reporting and Financial Analyst develops and provides the information necessary to help ensure that ICAP fulfills its financial reporting obligations to all US Government donor agencies, private foundations, partners, and the relevant internal departments within Columbia University (CU). Develops and provides a range of financial information and reports to ICAP leadership for the purpose of decision making.
Subject to business needs, we may support flexible and hybrid work arrangements. Options will be discussed during the interview process.
- Responsible for financial monitoring of assigned portfolio. Collaborate with country offices and NY HQ to respond to inquiries on reporting matters, identify and analyze errors, ensure that expenses are properly classified and appropriately charged to budgets/awards and ensure appropriate units are informed if corrections are needed – 25%
- Responsible for the direct oversight and preparation of some of the more complicated and larger awards within ICAP’s portfolio, including the development and submission of monthly, quarterly, and annual internal and external financial progress reports to ensure that they are in compliance with funder requirements – 25%
- Provides guidance and first level review of analyst’s internal and external deliverables. Reviews and provides assistance to the Analysts in the preparation of monthly reports that will serve as a valuable tool for all NY and Country teams to better monitor expenditures against awarded funds by analyzing project burn rates, alerting country teams of budget over runs and training country finance teams to better manage their spending – 20%
- Review quarterly budget vs. actual reporting of the status of grant activity as required by CUMC, and obtains PI attestation/certification, as needed. – 5%
- In collaboration with members of the team, perform routine assessments of existing process flow and develop strategies to streamline financial reporting process, standardize financial reports and improve efficiency – 5%
- Coordinate and train existing and new reporting and financial analysts on COB and ARC as they relate to reporting matters – 5%
- Prepares and coordinates quarterly and annual COB payroll budgeting updates – 5%
- Serve as lead analysts for budget exception errors and diagnostics of COB issues – 5%
- Performs other duties as assigned – 5%
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance or equivalent is education and experience
- Minimum of three (3) years experience
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, and strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to deal effectively with various internal ICAP units, other Columbia University departments and centers, as well as other stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience working in a team environment and independently
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access).
- Minimum of three (3) years related experience
- Knowledge of the pre and post award management of government grants and contracts, with a heavy emphasis on the reporting requirements of the US government
- Knowledge and experience with the various financial systems of Columbia University
- Experience working in a multi-layered environment with a variety of reporting relationships and varying reporting responsibilities.
- Experience working in an environment where there are multiple and sometimes conflicting closing dates and timelines.
- Working knowledge of MS Access