We’re seeking a skilled copy editor and writer with some graphic design and web experience who sweats the details. Are you personable and eloquent? Do you have some design skills and know your way around the Internet? Are you equally comfortable giving a public presentation as you are working alone with screens?
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and flexible team member to be one of our communication gurus. You’ll be helping us implement public relations, marketing, and positioning activities, as well as keep our internal communications game strong.
This job is located in the greater New Orleans metropolitan area in Metairie, LA. Our offices are clean and pleasant. We have bike racks. Our water is filtered, and our parking is free.
If you support increasing access to healthcare and important community services, you’ll love our mission. Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority (JPHSA) helps individuals and families in Jefferson Parish affected by mental illness, addictive disorders, and developmental disabilities to live full, healthy, independent and productive lives. JPHSA’s JeffCare Community Health Centers provide primary care and behavioral healthcare services for all ages.
- Competitive Salary: Up to $75,000 per year, depending on work experience
- Health Insurance: Great health insurance package with generous employer match and option to add dental, vision, and life insurance
- Paid Leave: Generous accrual rate for paid annual and sick leave in addition to at least 9-12 paid official state holidays; no on-call or weekend work
- Flexible Working Schedule
- Retirement: Eligibility for Louisiana State Employees Retirement System and Deferred Compensation Plan option for supplemental tax-deferred retirement savings
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF): We participate in the public service loan forgiveness program for student loan debt.
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in the research, written preparation and dissemination of information for the public, including excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to develop accurate and engaging content related to health education, community events, programs, services, and other topics
- Proven public presentation skills and experience with publications, broadcasting, web pages or websites, newsletters, and/or social media channels
- Baccalaureate degree or beyond welcome (such as English, Journalism, Multimedia Journalism, Communication, Advertising/Public Relations, Public Health, History, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Urban Studies, Liberal Arts, Library Science, Psychology or others with relevant work experience)
- Capacity to deeply research and synthesize information
- Experience developing content for social media (experience with Meta Business Suite and Google Ads a plus)
- Basic science and health knowledge
- Ability and curiosity to maintain current knowledge of new and emerging communication software/technologies and tools
- Ability to communicate with tact and warmth to all
- Keen attention to detail and great prioritization skills
- Expertise in interacting effectively at different levels with different audiences, including giving and receiving constructive feedback
- Flexibility to change directions when project needs change
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including outstanding PowerPoint skills
- Experience with some or all of these– Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, and Canva
- Experience with Google Ads, Facebook/Instagram ads, and YouTube a plus
- Experience with WordPress or similar CMS a plus
- Quick learner on new software
- Basic digital photography skills
Submit resumes via Indeed or to cwagner AT jphsa.org. Applicants under final consideration must apply via State of Louisiana job site and have Civil Service test scores for 8100-Professional Level Exam for this vacancy unless they have over a 3.0 GPA or are exempted by Civil Service rule or policy.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Up to $75,000.00 per year, depending on experience
Schedule: 8 hour shift
Ability to commute/relocate: Metairie, LA 70001 (in the greater New Orleans metropolitan area)
Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (required)
About Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority
Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority (JPHSA) helps individuals and families in Jefferson Parish affected by mental illness, addictive disorders, and developmental disabilities to live full, healthy, independent and productive lives. JPHSA’s JeffCare Community Health Centers provide primary care and behavioral healthcare services for all ages.