Under the direction of the vice president of communications, the communications specialist will play a key role in writing and distributing marketing content, including website, e-communications, social media and media relations, supporting federal grants, and performing other communications duties that increase the visibility of and engagement with the Lupus Foundation of America’s (Foundation) programs, services and campaigns.
The communications specialist is an integral member of the Marketing and Communications Department team, oftentimes working with various team members and across departments to reach specific goals related primarily to improving the lives of those living with or affected by lupus. Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented with solid decision-making and project management skills, and should be a self-starter that can manage up when necessary. The specialist should have excellent writing skills, experience developing and executing project work plans, and an ability to see a project through from beginning to end. This position requires a strong desire to learn about and understand lupus and the Foundation’s priorities, programs and services.
The communications specialist is responsible for copywriting and editing, and providing support for a variety of internal and external communications. The work involves using well-developed skills in written and verbal communications, technical computer applications and project coordination. The specialist will be working independently and with staff in a team environment to support and track project timelines and tasks, and communicate updates to staff and other groups as relevant.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and provide writing and editing for a variety of communications and marketing materials for the Foundation and its regional offices, including web posts, e-communications, newsletters, social media posts, presentations, speeches, fliers, lupus warrior profiles, reports, etc. This includes writing for different audiences, including consumers, people with lupus, caregivers, policy makers, advocates, media and health care professionals. This work includes:
- Drafting and editing web content such as news stories, Inside Lupus Research articles, health education resources and blogs
- Drafting social media posts and e-communications content such as external emails and e-newsletters
- Drafting press releases, advisories, media pitches, talking points and other press materials
- Researching and organizing facts and sources
- Interviewing and engaging with constituents, and
- Ensuring Foundation communications and messaging are clear, consistent, error-free, in line with Foundation tone and priorities, and engaging to a variety of target audiences
- Write, edit and review content to ensure it adheres to the Foundation’s style and brand guidelines, plain language and clear communication standards, and health communication best practices.
- Assist with publishing, editing and updating Foundation websites in the CMS
- Maintain tracking spreadsheet of all print and digital marketing materials
- Assist with developing and executing promotion plans and project work plans
- Effectively utilize the Foundation’s project management software (Redbooth) to include creating and coordinating workspaces and tasks within Redbooth
- Coordinate evaluations, surveys and other assessment tools to garner feedback on department initiatives
- Assist with providing communications support for the World Lupus Federation
- Support the promotion of the Foundation’s work and chapter affiliate programs through social media outreach
- Assist in ensuring social media channels are engaging and responsive by helping to monitor comments carefully and crafting responses in keeping with the Foundation’s messaging
- Create social media toolkits that include key assets for partners and constituents designed to help promote Foundation initiatives
- Assist in executing media strategies, draft press releases, advisories, media pitches, talking points and other press materials, and disseminate materials
- Post press releases on the wire, maintain list of Foundation-earned media placements and other key media clippings, and support the analysis and reporting of results
- Develop and maintain a database of patient spokespeople and their stories
- Assist with pitching media with timely story angles about Foundation programs and lupus, identifying media opportunities, pulling editorial calendars and highlighting opportunities for placement
- Assist on a proactive and reactive basis to coordinate and satisfy media inquiries for information, statements and interviews
- Assist in maintaining positive relationships with key local and national media contacts
- Support the Marketing and Communications Department in maintaining and ensuring brand consistency and voice across the Foundation’s national network of chapters, regional offices and community partners
- Coordinate projects with outside agencies, vendors, etc.
- Coordinate operations tasks for the Marketing and Communications Department, including minor accounting tasks such as invoicing, contract organization, select meeting agenda and shareable notes/recording of key discussion points and action items
- Collaborate on campaigns and projects that are designed to reach and engage populations disproportionately impacted by lupus?
- Support and attend as necessary Lupus Foundation of America national office events which include but are not limited to all-staff meetings, Advocacy Summit, and specific Walks; coordinate Foundation event giveaway items
- Serve on inter-departmental working groups as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
Three to five years of experience in a communications position, preferably in the PR agency, not-for-profit, advocacy or healthcare industry.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, including the ability to write for diverse audiences and a variety of communication mediums.
- Experience utilizing and engaging with an organization’s social media community through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikToc.
- Ability to work independently and in a fast-paced and team-based environment.
- Ability to interview and connect with people and tell their stories in creative and impactful ways.
- Understanding and use of AP Stylebook and plain language and clear communication guidelines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including empathy and discretion.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to present ideas and information clearly.
- Extreme attention to detail, outstanding organization skills, and ability to acquire new knowledge quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple projects effectively, as well as manage and meet deadlines.
- Preferred experience with collaboration and project management tools such as Slack, Redbooth, Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Familiarity with keyword placement and SEO
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with media tools such as Cision and PR Newswire
- Spanish speaking and writing capabilities, a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree in related field, preferably Communications, Public Relations, English or Marketing.
The Lupus Foundation of America is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.