Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health and nutrition staff. Responsible to develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the health and nutrition aspects of the country programme including coordination at a senior level, with national and regional health authorities as well as other NGOs. Coordination at a senior level, with national and regional health and nutrition authorities as well as other NGOs. Lead on all health, nutrition and MHPSS technical elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote evidence based best practice in the health and nutrition programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is responding to the humanitarian needs in Yemen through an integrated health, nutrition and WASH response targeting vulnerable persons in selected districts of South Yemen. Yemen is one of the largest humanitarian crisis in the World. Medair’s approach is to provide lifesaving care to the most vulnerable–preferentially targeting women and children most susceptible to morbidity and mortality–with integrated health, nutrition (CMAM) and wash services supporting Ministry of Health facilities with community and facility level support in line with the national Minimal Service Package guidelines. Medair currently supports 8 health facilities in Al Dhale Governorate and 5 in Lahj Governorate of the South. Medair strives to protect beneficiaries in all projects, upholding the ‘Do No Harm’ principle. The project design includes gender and protection mainstreaming components and a demonstrated accountability to the affected population.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aden, Yemen.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
February 2022. Full time, 12-24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Maintain an overview of the health and nutrition programme and of the country context, with a view to guiding assessments, strategically developing new projects in current sites, and proactively planning for responsible exit.
- Give technical advice to all country technical staff, the Yemen senior management team and GSO on selection of locations, design of health & nutrition interventions and internal capacity for implementation.
- Define appropriate policies, guidelines and protocols for the health and nutrition aspects of Medair’s work in country.
- Provide technical support and oversight to the health teams in all project sites, including the monitoring, evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports within the timeframes.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits with field managers, ensuring that project objectives are met.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback.
- Maintain an oversight of medicines and health and nutrition supplies ordered for the projects, supporting technical and logistics staff in the coordination and quality control of health and nutrition supplies.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation & accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Provide cross coverage for H&N Project Managers as needed during R&Rs and leave
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, and partners with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation for partnerships.
- Accompany donors on field trips, and ensure programme details are transmitted in a professional manner.
- Seek out networks or task groups on specific health & nutrition-related humanitarian aid issues.
- Represent Medair at health & nutrition clusters, with the objective to become a recognised cluster member.
- Coordinate with other health and nutrition agencies operating in Yemen, to ensure streamlined approached and reduce risk of duplication. Represent Medair to MoH.
- Be involved in the recruitment of health and staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching. Plan and develop training material as required with support from GSO advisors as needed.
- Promote the health and security of the staff by ensuring health and safety in the workplace.
- Oversight of the technical aspects of the health and nutrition projects, including recommendations for health staff objectives, training, promotion and disciplinary action, supporting line managers in inductions and appraisals of health & nutrition staff
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct health budgets.
- Ensure budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Country Director and Head of Country Programme.
- Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure operation for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Promote and use the Medair Global HN Reference library, Portfolio, Impact modules, etc, ensuring that guidelines are used.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and CHS standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
- Collaborate closely with and follow the direction of the Senior Health and Nutrition Advisor and Senior MHPSS Advisor at GSO regarding global quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to GSO advisors as well as field staff on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Maintain a resource library for the health and nutrition team and keep up-to-date with the latest trends and updates within the sector. Ensure all health and nutrition staff have access to necessary and appropriate information.
- Attend Medair yearly health and nutrition workshop as well as periodic online meetings with GSO advisors to keep up to date on recommendations and guidelines for Medair health and nutrition programming.
- Overall responsibility for staff health/occupational health procedures & development of procedures in-country.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor). Degree in Public Health.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 1 year in humanitarian emergency context.
Knowledge of Sphere and CHS Standards, protection issues and international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Excellent proposal and report writing skills. Knowledge and experience of the principles and the design, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of humanitarian public health projects.
- Good financial management skills (budget design and control). Excellent negotiation/advocacy skills within varying cultural and professional contexts, in particular regarding donors and government officials.
- All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organizational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world's most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.