Role & Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the assigned health project(s), effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe, and budget, focusing on response to new crises requiring assessments and short-term interventions. Manage and oversee primary health care staff to meet international quality standards in health care delivery. Encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders, anticipate, plan, and contribute to developing new health project proposals and reports.
Medair delivers life-saving health interventions to emergency affected populations in eastern DRC in challenging access areas despite security challenges. Attacks by armed groups and intercommunal violence in eastern DRC continue to threaten vulnerable populations, despite the efforts of the government’s armed forces (FARDC) and assistance from the UN Mission in DRC (MONUSCO).
This intervention will contribute to the prevention of excess morbidity and mortality for populations affected by conflict in Eastern DRC. The main activities will be the provision of quality subsidised health care, with regular supply of sufficient quality Primary Health Care (PHC) pharmaceutical supplies, the establishment of an effective referral system (including transportation), training, coaching and supervision of health centre Ministry of Health (MOH) staff and behaviour change communication (BCC) aimed at improving the uptake of healthy behaviours in the community. Moreover, the intervention foresees minor rehabilitation of existing HF as needed to ensure an appropriate level of hygiene, reduce the risk of infections to patients, protect staff, and respect the dignity of the population served, especially women and girls.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field based position in Bunia, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Interventions may be in remote and difficult to access areas for which the environment is physically challenging accessible on foot. The security context is complex and also requires constant monitoring. Visits to emergency locations will be expecte
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Management
- Manage the project to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame. Respond quickly to the crisis and organise assessments and responses through coordination with the WASH team and prioritisation of life-saving activities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of an health strategy in collaboration with the Health Advisor.
- Provide exemplary leadership in the assigned health and nutrition projects, including emergency response, ensuring positive short- and long-term impact and results for beneficiaries, local health authorities and local health workers.
- Continuously monitor and supervise health activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impact.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable timeframes and formats.
- Participate in the development of new proposals linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Reach out to other health actors to find those who can respond to needs that go beyond the resources of Medair.
- Line-manage staff, including day-to-day management, development, etc. Facilitate regular meetings to promote information sharing between project staff, to ensure awareness of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of health and nutrition staff and follow up to ensure appropriate training is provided.
- Manage budget and ensure that all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair and donor standards concerning financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Approve all project expenditures and expense coding. Ensure proper financial procedures are followed.
- Track expenses against project budgets. Draft annual budgets for health projects. Prepare cash forecasts.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate communication with the team and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in health coordination meetings, Medair internal training and others.
- Proactively network and coordinate with the health cluster and health agencies to seek out opportunities.
- Review and update Project Coordination Agreements, Memorandum of Understanding and others.
- Ensure clear internal coordination within the Medair team and with advisors.
- Ensure stock, purchase requests and movement requests are submitted appropriately.
- Ensure health teams are adequately supported in the field – food, water, supplies, cash, etc.
- Support the logistics activities of health staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies, etc.
- Liaise with the health and logistics staff to ensure that quality items are procured, transported, stored, etc.
Quality Management/Project Design
- Responsible for ensuring project implementation is according to Medair, donor, DRC and international guidelines.
- Responsible for setting objectives of emergency health assessments and interventions, monitoring progress, etc.
- Decide on new activities and new project sites and provide input regarding future project growth and changes.
- Improve the quality of the health project, the quality of the assessments, the monitoring and evaluation process and the implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming.
- Develop and maintain health resources to improve capacity for the health team to take on more responsibilities within the project.
- Monitoring security situation for teams in the field and working with Projects Coordinator.
- Responsible for ensuring field team compliance with security procedures; ensure teams are equipped.
- Contribute to the ongoing monitoring of security situation.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (nurse, midwife or doctor), or Public Health degree.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written).
- 2 years’ post-qualification medicine/nursing/medical professional experience.
- At least 1 year of management experience in a health context. At least 1-2 years in health in a developing country.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Able to take the initiative.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standard.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair Page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world's most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.