Role & Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor, and evaluate the assigned nutrition and health project. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame, and budget with a focus on health and nutrition system strengthening, training, and coordination. Providing technical support, leadership, and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include managing and training health and nutrition staff to meet quality standards in health and nutrition delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training health/nutrition staff, anticipating, planning, and contributing to the development of new health and nutrition project proposals and reports.
In response to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Yemen, Medair will expand its activities focused on delivering life-saving health and nutrition services to conflict affected communities. Medair projects include primary healthcare, public health interventions, outreach activities and mobile response as well as implementing community management of acute malnutrition. Medair is looking to expand its health and nutrition response, the new position will help to identify the new area of intervention as well.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aden, Yemen.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 18 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health and Nutrition Project Management
- Manage the assigned health and nutrition project(s) to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report any operational concerns to line manager and country nutrition advisor.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned health and nutrition project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local nutrition authorities, and local staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an effective health and nutrition strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit in consultation with country Health & Nutrition Advisor, etc.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for health and nutrition activities in collaboration with the country Health Advisor, health and nutrition staff, field managers and, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise nutrition activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the health and /nutrition team in analysis.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability and protection in all aspects of the project. Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair and donor.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy, in conjunction with the country Health Advisor and relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the Health and /Nutrition Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for health and /nutrition activities. Assess the training needs of health and /nutrition staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted in line with Medair Yemen’s learning and development plan.
- Develop budgets for new projects accounting for location needs, available funding, and proposed activities and staff. Manage the health and nutrition budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent, and supportive communication structures with the assigned health and /nutrition team, Medair in-country and GSO health and nutrition managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders with the objective of ensuring good cooperation & partnerships.
- Participate in health and /nutrition coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and working, representing Medair and feeding back to the health and /nutrition staff and field managers on issues.
- Prepare and keep updated appropriate project and procurement plans.
- Support the logistics activities of project staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies, and equipment for the assigned health and /nutrition facilities and activities.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and operating procedures, ensuring that all formats and guidelines are used. Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country, and international standards i.e., Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree or diploma (doctor, nurse, midwife). Medical doctor or Public health degree/diploma desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year experience managing health and nutrition projects in developing countries.
- Experience working in health/nutrition with Medair in another country programme.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation. Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health care principles and management.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips. Able and willing to work in potentially insecure environments.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organizational values.
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world's most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.