A National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing approximately 3,000 local health departments (LHDs) nationwide, has an immediate opening for a Full-time Executive Management Specialist.
A Specialist is responsible for providing professional support for internal functional activities and typically performs moderately difficult analysis, research, writing, and project coordination, typically under the direction of a Manager or Director.
As a mid-level contributor in an area of specialization, the Specialist understands the concepts, practices and procedures of the area of specialization and can apply them to work that may be difficult in nature.
A Specialist typically performs analysis, research, writing and/or project management and can complete projects, or components of large-scale projects/programs, with little direction.
A Specialist may also hold a very senior level administrative position requiring the ability to support and coordinate the office of a senior executive and interface with high-level internal and external stakeholders.
Specialists may have frequent contact with outside organizations or internal customers that may involve project coordination, information sharing, or resolution of problems.
Incumbents have a specialty gained through a college degree or the equivalent, two to five years of relevant on the job experience or advanced technical training or experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Undertakes a complex task by breaking it down into manageable parts in a systematic, detailed way.
- Identifies the information needed to solve a problem effectively.
- Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one’s words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior.
- Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or verbally in individual or group situations.
- Thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. Monitors and checks work or information and plans and organizes time and resources efficiently.
- Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills, and judgment to accomplish a result or to serve a members needs effectively. Has desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
- Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes,
- methods, systems, or services.
- Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one’s knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance through communications, project planning and coordination, and targeted marketing.
- Independently develops, prepares, and disseminates reports.
- Works collaboratively with others to support technical assistance activities.
- Represents NACCHO at external conferences and meetings with stakeholders.
- Act as liaison with staff as needed in specialization area.
- Track and analyze policies and best practices.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Acts as a representative of the Office of the Chief Executive Officer (OCEO) by Interfacing with NACCHO Executive & Leadership Teams to include the NACCHO Board of Directors, Colleagues, Funders and Partners.
- Reports to the Director, OCEO and works collaboratively and in conjunction through effective communication, weekly meetings and email.
- Execute critical and important projects under the direction of the Director, OCEO, including developing plans, defining and communicating with those involved, making recommendations regarding appropriate courses of action.
- Support Executive and Leadership Teams by gathering information, creating reports and/or briefings as required
- Oversee current Board documentation saved in TEAMS OCEO folder
- Support the Director, OCEO with travel coordination, planning, and document prep for the CEO, CPO and CGA and individual Board members as required for internal or external meetings, assist with the execution of all Board-related meetings and events, coordinating contractors and vendors as needed, including the preparation of Board meeting agendas and board meeting packets
- Manage Executive and Board of Director level travel reimbursements
- Confidential Employee who works closely with Director, OCEO governing resources, such as calendar, mailbox and confidential files that contain union and labor related bargaining matters
- Assist the Director, OCEO with monitoring Board anniversaries, special occasions and the board budget and preparing quarterly reports for Chief Executive Officer
- Serve as additional point of contact for the Board Nominations Committee including assisting with the coordination of recruitment efforts (including working with committee to prepare call for nominations, collecting incoming nominations and organizing for committee review, preparation of the ballot and online elections process, and final reporting of election results.)
- Provide complete planning for meetings, conferences hosted by Executive Leadership, and the Board including communication materials and presentations. Assure that the Executive Team is fully briefed before meetings on matters to be considered.
- Coordinate Executive Team’s calendars by planning, organizing, managing and attending regular, Committee and Board related meetings. Produce and distribute agendas and meeting minutes within 24-72 hours of meeting end times.
- Create and maintain electronic Board Manual and Support Manual to categorize Standard Operating Procedures related to these functions
Bachelor’s degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience and/or advanced technical training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has a greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; Ability to write routine reports and correspondence; Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization; Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportion, percentages, area, circumference and volume; Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; Spreadsheet and word processing software experience required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Continually required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk for job-related reasons.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Continually required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
- Occasionally required to travel
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
$63,520 – $67,510
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, NACCHO follows CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. NACCHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all NACCHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: PN – 401 Executive Management Specialist.
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short- and long-term disability plan and paid term life insurance. Hybrid Remote work available.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.