The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing approximately 3,000 local health departments (LHDs) nationwide, has an immediate opening for a Full-time Government Affairs Associate.
The Government Affairs Associate is responsible for providing professional support to the Government Affairs team with an overall goal of achieving results in advancing NACCHO’s legislative and policy priorities. The position requires sound judgment, strong organizational skills, attention to detail, an ability to communicate well orally and in writing, and a curious and professional attitude.
The Associate has some knowledge and experience in the area of Government Affairs, with an interest in building additional expertise in federal policymaking, legislative analysis, grassroots engagement, and advocacy. The Associate has a critical role in achieving NACCHO’s strategic objective of serving as the voice for local health departments.
The Associate is considered an entry level professional with a Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent who works under supervision of the Director, Government Affairs. The Associate collaborates with other staff and intern(s) of the Government Affairs team and organization.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Seeks increased responsibilities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly and efficiently.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
The Government Affairs Associate will be responsible for supporting the functions of NACCHO’s Government Affairs team. Work duties may include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining logistics and helping to plan and implement annual Capitol Hill outreach event for key NACCHO leaders, and additional opportunities for NACCHO members to connect with Members of Congress.
- Conducting legislative analysis as well as monitoring and tracking legislation.
- Attending coalition meetings, hearings, briefings, and bill markups.
- Drafting a variety of written products including content for newsletters, emails, reports and member action alerts.
- Assisting with communications to Members of Congress and/or the Administration including letters and testimony.
- Supporting NACCHO grassroots engagement, including Congressional Action Network alerts and trainings for NACCHO members.
- Developing subject matter knowledge in select public health policy issue areas.
- Updating and maintaining content on NACCHO’s policy and advocacy webpage.
- Drafting PowerPoint presentations and webinars.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; experience working on Capitol Hill or in an association environment strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated history of strong attention to detail, ability to prioritize, and organizational skills
- Experience developing written materials for a wide variety of audiences
- Knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
- Full-time Exempt
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $48,000 – $51,000
SELECTION PROCESS: We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, one writing sample to: PN -266 Government Affairs Associate
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short- and long-term disability plan and paid term life insurance. Hybrid Remote work available.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.