The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing approximately 2,800 local health departments (LHDs) nationwide, has an immediate opening for a Senior Information Technology Specialist.
The IT Senior Specialist duties will be the following: responsible for the scoping, assessment, planning, design, testing, and technical documentation for the implementation, support, and migration of enterprise cloud solutions using Office 365 and related core technologies including Azure Active Directory, Azure Cloud, Exchange Teams, Teams Phone, MFA, Veeam, and other security technologies. The IT Senior Specialist is responsible for providing professional technical support to staff regarding the operation of their office personal computers and laptops, usually under the direction of a Senior Director or Senior Advisor. The IT Senior Specialist understands and develop policies, standards, and best practices related to all aspects of technology. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience on a case by case basis. The IT Senior Specialist understands implications of internal and external policies that impact technology. He or she typically performs analysis, research, writing, or project management and can complete projects or components of large-scale projects/programs with little supervision. The IT Senior Specialist may also hold a very senior level administrative position requiring the ability to support and coordinate the office of a senior executive and communicate with internal and external stakeholders at a level commensurate with the position’s duties and expectations. The IT Senior Specialist may have frequent contact with outside vendors, consultants or other internal parties that may involve project coordination, information sharing, or resolution of problems. They may be required to represent NACCHO at meetings.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Undertakes a complex task by breaking it down into manageable parts in a systematic, detailed way.
- Identifies the information needed to solve a problem effectively.
- Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one’s words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior.
- Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or verbally in individual or group situations.
- Demonstrates eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills, and judgment to accomplish a result or to serve a member needs effectively. Has desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
- Applies original thinking in approach to job responsibilities and to improve processes, methods, systems, or services.
- Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities or manage the situation at hand by drawing on one’s knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary.
- Provides guidance and technical assistance through communications, project planning and coordination, and targeted marketing.
- Independently develops, prepares, and disseminates reports.
- Works collaboratively with others to support technical assistance activities.
- Represents NACCHO at external conferences and meetings with stakeholders.
- Act as liaison with staff as needed in specialization area.
- Track and analyze policies and best practices.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Provide first and second level IT support including for incoming queries and issues related to computer systems, software, hardware, network, organization applications, printers, phone system, and other tools utilized by NACCHO staff.
- Provide support for Cloud environment, server environment and server hardware.
- Provide support for network hardware including firewalls, switches and wireless access points.
- Arrange the installation, testing and maintenance of new hardware and software components.
- Responsible for the acquisition and maintenance of hardware and software.
- Work with external consultants on projects when necessary.
- Maintain all updates for client operating systems, computers, servers, and network appliances.
- Upgrade systems with new releases and models
- Responsible for the keeping track of the inventory of all computer hardware and software.
- Provide maintenance and support of Office 365 environment, Teams, SharePoint, Teams Phone, Veeam, Vade, Ninja.
- Provide remote support for teleworking and off-site staff
- Set up and manage accounts and workstations as part of staff onboarding and offboarding.
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements.
- Document current and changing infrastructure as changes, projects, and upgrades occur.
- Ensure security through access controls, backups, and firewalls. Manage, maintain, monitor, and ensure network and system security.
- Conduct staff training related to organization applications and technology.
- Responsible for operation of voice and video teleconferencing equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant professional field with a minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience and/or advanced technical training; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification. An advanced degree may be substituted for work experience. On occasion, extensive practical experience may be substituted for formal education, particularly if the technical specialty is unusually complex or when long experience has a greater value to the organization than conceptual understanding. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Office 365 experience, Teams, SharePoint, Teams Phone, Veeam, Vade, Ninja.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportion, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Spreadsheet and word processing software experience required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds).
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $92,176 – $102,176
SELECTION PROCESS: We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, one writing sample with salary requirements to: Chief of Programs & Services, using the following link:
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short and long term disability plan and paid term life insurance 2 x salary up to 300K. Hybrid Remote Work Available.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business