The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), a national organization representing nearly 3,000 local health departments nationwide, has an immediate opening for a Senior Specialist – Communication & Marketing.
The Senior Specialist -Communications and Marketing is responsible for developing, implementing, and supervising marketing and communications strategies for NACCHO programs; identifying and responding to member needs; and assessing policies and programs. The Senior Specialist is considered a senior content expert. This position may supervise the work of Specialists and administrative support staff.
Senior Specialists typically report to a Director or Senior Director. Work at this level requires substantial knowledge in the designated area, with both the conceptual understanding and sufficient professional experience to work on complex assignments with minimal supervision. Senior Specialists require proven market assessment, communications, and project management capabilities, and originality and creativity in applying the knowledge and concepts of communications. Senior Specialists have the ability to work on projects of a highly confidential and sensitive nature and interface with the highest level of internal and external stakeholders.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC INFORMATION:
The Senior Specialist -Communications and Marketing will play an essential role in NACCHO’s HIV, STI, Viral Hepatitis, and Harm Reduction portfolio, which includes supporting coordination of the National Harm Reduction Technical Assistance Center. The incumbent will create and implement programs, outreach and communications plans to promote the National Harm Reduction Technical Assistance Center (NHRTAC), including work with national partners to oversee the development of goals, strategies, and implementation plans to execute comprehensive marketing, communications, and outreach campaigns. Some marketing goals will include establishing and maintaining the brand integrity of the NHRTAC, strategically positioning the NHRTAC as a trusted source for knowledge and technical assistance and building national demand for NHRTAC services.
COMPETENCIES AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and budget; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to
- others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity – Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
- Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative – Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation – Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Develop, manage, and execute an annual strategic marketing, outreach, and communications plan for NHRTAC to span across all communication media (online and offline) and reach appropriate target audiences
- Collaborate, communicate and negotiate with NACCHO staff, members, and national partners to inform the strategic marketing, outreach, and communications plan, and for joint marketing activities
- Initiate development and implementation of a new marketing program for the NHRTAC in line with the plan, including direct mail, social media marketing, and articles, news and press releases, email, blog and social media posts, and other initiatives.
- Develop and promote branding initiatives consistent with NHRTAC goals and objectives.
- Ensure all products, services, and other offerings conform to brand identity; conduct ongoing brand management.
- Develop, manage and produce materials to create a cohesive image and message for print and all offline communication vehicles.
- Ensure that all materials are developed and distributed according to an appropriate timeline.
- Develop marketing plans within budget requirements.
- Evaluate the success of various communication strategies and provide and implement recommendations for improvement.
Bachelor’s degree and certification in relevant professional field, including health communications, marketing, publications, or advertising with a minimum of 5-7 years relevant work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including a relevant certification. Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred.
- Breadth of working knowledge and past experience in publishing with print and web-media.
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with brand building and brand management.
- Knowledge of harm reduction approaches, challenges and needs within diverse communities and public health and/or social service organizations
- Knowledge of association or membership organization environment
- Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements preferred.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in internet marketing techniques, technologies, and solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and desktop publishing software.
- Strong skills in the use of social media e-marketing and web application software to achieve program, publications, and marketing goals.
- Competent and proficient in the use of website content management software (e.g., Craft, HTML, etc.) and e-marketing software (e.g., MagnetMail or similar product).
- Competency in Adobe Creative Suite products preferred, particularly InDesign.
- Basic video production and editing skills preferred.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Ability to manage and coordinate the end-to-end development process while meeting deadlines and budget requirements.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as reports, policy statements, and other relevant literature.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of partner organizations, members, and/or other colleagues within NACCHO.
- Ability to understand, explain and/or calculate appropriate statistics when necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Occasionally required to walk.
- Occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to talk or hear.
- Occasionally required to bend, lift or climb stairs.
- Occasionally required to lift light weights (less than 25 pounds)
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate
$77,613 – $81,757
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, NACCHO follows CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. NACCHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all NACCHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
We only accept applications that follow the electronic process. No phone calls please. This position is subject to background screening. Qualified applicants should send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: PN – 492 Senior Specialist – Communication & Marketing.
NACCHO offers generous benefits plan including but not limited to 13 days of sick leave annual leave allowable accumulation up to 225 hours, and paid vacation leave, as well as other types of leave. NACCHO benefits include a generous health, dental, and vision plan, 5 percent of base salary contribution to 403(b) plan, (not a matching contribution); paid short and long term disability plan and paid term life insurance. Hybrid Remote work available.
At NACCHO, our commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action seeks to ensure a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We respect and value work force diversity among all employees and all those with whom we do business.