Technical Advisor, Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health (AYSRH)
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to Project Director, Adolescents 360
Who we are
With over 45 years of experience, working in over 50 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds and experience. All with unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
The Family Planning and Reproductive Health Department supports programs in 37 countries (and counting) to deliver high-quality family planning and reproductive health programs to women and girls. AYSRH represent a critical component to PSI’s consumer powered health care strategy. As part of the FP2020 initiative, PSI has pledged to reach 10 million young people with modern contraceptives by the end of 2020.
PSI has a large portfolio of Adolescent and Youth Sexual and Reproductive Health (AYSRH) initiatives. These include several multi-country projects, such as Adolescents 360 (A360) as well as a number of bilaterals.
We are looking for a Technical Advisor to provide AYSRH technical assistance. This is a new role, created to respond to PSI’s growing portfolio of AYSRH initiatives. The role will focus initially in the first year primarily but not exclusively on supporting A360, before broadening its remit to additional country and project support. A360 is PSI’s flagship AYSRH project jointly funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation. It is a multi-country project spanning Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania. Its approach is characterized by its design process, meaningful youth engagement, aspirational programming and adaptive implementation.
This full-time position reports to the Director of the A360 project. You will work closely with PSI’s other technical advisors across the globe, including the Senior Technical Advisor for AYSRH and A360’s Implementation Science and Learning Advisor as well as with other Project Directors with significant AYSRH components. The position will play a key role in advancing PSI’s AYSRH strategy and aiding countries in the design, implementation and evaluation of AYSRH programs. The position requires someone with sound technical knowledge, an appetite for learning and collaborating, solid operational experience and strong emotional intelligence.
Sound like you? Read on.
The AYSRH Technical Advisor will work closely with the project teams, in-country teams, partners, FP/RH department, Regional Support Staff and support functions to ensure program design and implementation meet PSI’s standards and follow global best practices. More specifically, you will:
- Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build the capacity of PSI in-country teams, as well as program partners and government partners.
- For A360, this will encompass A360’s defining characteristics and 2019/2020 priorities (e.g. aspirational programming, meaningful youth engagement, adaptive implementation), building on the foundations laid by the AYSRH Senior Technical Advisor and the Implementation Science and Learning Advisor.
- Provide program management support, including inputting into quarterly and annual reporting and ad hoc donor deliverables.
- Contribute to new business development, including the intervention design, content development and technical review of opportunities.
- Contribute to, and facilitate cross-country and cross-project learning, drawing on the knowledge and insights of the AYSRH Senior Technical Advisor, Project Directors of programs with large youth programs and relevant country program leads.
- Contribute to the realization of PSI’s AYSRH Strategic Priorities.
- Provide discrete remote and in-country technical assistance to other PSI AYSRH projects.
- Support the efforts of the AYSRH Senior Technical Advisor and others to keep PSI at the forefront of AYSRH:
- Represent A360 in external fora as necessary.
- Keep abreast of the latest evidence on AYSRH and disseminate across the team and department.
- Prepare content for the A360 learning hub.
- Build a strong professional network among AYSRH actors in collaboration with the Sr AYSRH Technical Advisor.
- Work with the Senior AYSRH Technical Advisor to develop and roll out tools, resources and trainings to improve AYSRH programming, as identified and required.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required; master’s degree preferred.
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in family planning and safe abortion programming with a strong focus on AYSRH.
- You have 3+ years of professional experience providing in-country and remote SRH technical assistance to field teams preferably in Africa.
- You are a client-focused team player; Sara is our focus, there’s no room for egos.
- You have a background in and/or understanding of adolescent health, adolescent development and gender.
- You are culturally sensitive.
- You have strong technical and proposal writing skills.
- You are proactive, driven and follow through on assignments.
- You are pragmatic and take things to completion.
- You have strong facilitation, presentation and public speaking skills.
- You have strong emotional intelligence; you conduct yourself with integrity, you are self-aware and manage your emotions, you demonstrate empathy towards others, and you can perform under pressure.
- You are organized and can manage multiple priorities without getting flustered.
- You are willing to travel across Africa, for 25% of the working year, for 1-2 weeks at a time, sometimes on short notice.
- You are willing to travel to a wide range of countries beyond the A360 designated countries including Somaliland, Pakistan, and Haiti.
- You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- You have strong computer skills (MS Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- You are fluent in English.
- References will b required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Must be authorized to work in the US.
What would get us excited?
- You have completed long-term assignments overseas so have first-hand experience of the day-to-day realities faced by our country teams.
- You have a strong professional network.
- You are familiar with major AYSRH donors and their strategies.
- You have experience in human centred design.
- You have strong data analysis skills.
- You are familiar with digital health solutions.
- You are a safe abortion advocate.
- You have working knowledge of French.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.