Associate Manager, Program
Based in Washington, DC or Remote (East Coast)
10-25% international travel
Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Eligible
Reports to Senior Program Manager, HIV/TB and Program Manager, SRH
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI’s Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) Department supports programs in 37 countries (and counting!) to deliver high-quality family planning and safe abortion services to women and girls. PSI’s HIV and TB Department supports innovative programming to prevent, diagnose and treat HIV and TB in more than 20 countries. This is an exciting position that will allow the candidate to work across health areas supporting a portfolio of projects with diverse goals such as:
• Catalyzing voluntary self-injection of DMPA-SC contraceptives and promote additional forms of self-care.
• Increasing uptake and effective use of HIV prevention, testing and treatment among men who have sex with men in South Africa.
• Designing, testing and scaling interventions that enable efficient and effective identification, linkage and retention of men living with HIV.
• Catalyzing the private sector market for HIV self-testing in Kenya, Uganda and Nigeria.
PSI seeks an Associate Manager, Program that will Support PSI’s operational excellence and execution of quality and standards by providing wide-ranging operational and project management support to an assigned portfolio of network members, countries, or projects. Work with network member/country project teams, global technical and service departments, and strategic partners to ensure program/project objectives are met and comply with donor requirements. Manage the programmatic and financial health of a moderate complexity portfolio of one or more network members and project(s), or components of a network member/country project portfolio. This role will report to the HIV Senior Program Manager with dotted line reporting to the SRH Program Manager.
- Provide significant financial management support to department and network member/country project teams, including preparation and tracking of project and team budgets, financial analysis, and budget realignments. 40% of the Time
- Contribute to burn rate analysis and drafting quarterly and ad hoc financial reporting summaries to share with donors in consultation with the Finance Team and Program Manager.
- Monitor and ensure smooth operational and programmatic execution of a portfolio of projects or network members/countries, including monitoring of agreement modifications, workplans and deliverables, donor reporting, and subaward management in coordination with immediate team members, network member/country project team members, and global technical and service department. 30% of the Time
- Contribute to donor reporting by drafting, editing and/or coordinating completion of quarterly narrative reports and other project deliverables.
- Advise the Program Manager and other staff members on relevant issues and developments as they arise across the project.
- Ensure compliance with internal PSI systems and processes including Deliverable Tracker, Sub-Award Tracker, the Award Management System, etc.
- Serve as primary program management focal point for one or more technical workstream of interest, where appropriate.
- Provide routine administrative support for daily operations, project management, and general functioning of assigned portfolio. 10% of the Time
- Support consultant and agency procurements from start to finish from posting RFPs to drafting evaluation summaries and submitting documentation to Procurement.
- Provide ongoing backstopping support to consultants, such as modifying agreements as needed, coordinating invoice approvals, managing Sharepoint / Teams access, etc.
- Support robust internal project operations through meeting scheduling across time zones and ensuring the right participants are involved in relevant communications.
- Provide support for knowledge management activities, including the design of tools and systems for knowledge management and information tracking, creation and maintenance of internal filing systems, administration of online communications site(s), and development of communications materials. 10% of the Time
- Assume responsibility for Knowledge Management of assigned projects, including by: managing permissions / access for SharePoint and Teams folders and channels; conducting periodic file audits; saving files in appropriate folders and introducing new organizational structures as helpful.
- Assist with new business development opportunities, including cost proposal development. 10% of the Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
-Bachelor’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field.
-At least 3 years of relevant work experience. Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted.
-Knowledge of international development, international donor priorities and/or health areas preferred (such as FCDO, USAID, CDC, KFW, corporate and foundation donors).
-Strong written, verbal, and cross-cultural communications skills.
-Skills in Excel, budget management and monitoring, and strong financial acumen.
-Excellent organizational skills with special attention to detail and timeliness.
-Good analytical/problem solving skills.
-Relevant language skills per country and program portfolio.
-Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
-Ability to manage diverse workstreams efficiently and effectively.
-Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment.
-A keen sense of urgency and strong work ethic, positive mindset, and comfort with the ambiguity and pace of a dynamic and bureaucratic environment.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:?You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:?You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:?You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:?You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:??You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.