PSI Benin and ABMS Country Representative (CR)
Based in Cotonou, Benin Reports to the
Who we areWith over 45 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurial development professionals with a wide range of backgrounds, experience, and unique skills that we bring to the critically important work that we do.
With support from the Government of Benin and international donors, PSI has worked in Benin since 1992. We have implemented social marketing and behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, malaria, family planning and reproductive health, and WASH. Current revenue is about $7m annually, with potential for significant growth.
We are looking forto lead implementation of PSI’s awards in collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MOH). The CR should have significant management and international experience with international donors, an interest in private sector approaches to development, relevant language skills, and be capable of managing a diverse staff. We are looking for someone with a proven track record of delivering results in multi-million-dollar field offices and fast paced environments under challenging conditions. PSI’s Benin program is highly impactful and highly rewarding for those who thrive when given a serious management challenge.
The CR will have full programmatic and financial responsibility for all existing heath projects, as well as execute PSI’s Global Strategy in Benin. In addition to proven skills in organizational management, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to grow platform funding and health impact and to maintain excellent partnerships with donors, the government and other key stakeholders. The CR will report to the Senior Director, Francophone and Lusophone Africa in Washington, DC.
Sound like you? Read on.
Your contributionThe CR/Benin will assume strategic, programmatic and operational management and oversight for Benin’s grant portfolio. The CR/Benin will be responsible for achieving a high level of project performance while assuring compliance with regulations across a range of donors and financial/administrative best practices. Specific tasks are:
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current donor projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Develop innovative distribution systems and/or maintain the existing ones at a high level of effectiveness;
- Supervise and ensure accountability for sub-recipient monitoring, including oversight of programmatic and financial performance;
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to support health program decisions to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact.
New Business Development
- Identify and assess new partners for program implementation;
- Organize country team responses to global, regional and country-level fundraising;
- Liaise with PSI/W for all fundraising opportunities and agree on priorities and next steps;
- Communicate PSI global and country strategy to local donors, partners and authorities with a view to identifying strategic overlap and opportunities.
Financial and Internal Controls
- Support the Finance Director in ensuring that PSI and donor requirements regarding financial oversight and controls are met and ensure collaboration with appropriate teams in PSI/W;
- Develop and manage annual and project budgets in accordance with donor and PSI/W regulations;
- Meet reporting and compliance requirements as required by donors and PSI/Washington;
- Ensure that all PSI financial policies and procedures are followed and validated by internal evaluations and external audits;
- Foster the institutional development of PSI operations in Benin through strategic planning, program development and staff capacity building;
- Maintain and foster external relations with strategic partners such as government institutions and donors such as the Ministry of Health, the Royal Netherlands Embassy, USAID, Foundations, among others.
- Build technical, management and leadership capacity of staff;
- Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety. Ensure that mitigation actions are implemented and proactively work with HQ to ensure adequate oversight and support is provided across teams.
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and assets in all aspects of work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities.
- Liaise with the Global Security Department and Senior Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, incident reporting and security policy changes;
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment in line with PSI’s values of honesty and acting with integrity.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
Our ideal candidate will possess:
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MPA, MPH, MD, PhD) or equivalent experience; special consideration will be given to candidates with a proven track record that combines strong management and technical skills;
- At least 8 years of experience managing people, budgets and international public health programs of similar size in Sub-Saharan Africa (experience working in Benin preferred);
- You have significant demonstrated fundraising, personnel and financial management experience;
- Strong knowledge and respect for a complex and deepening compliance environment and the ability to assure ABMS/PSI meet such requirements;
- Proven leadership demeanor: calm under pressure, diplomatic, and decisive;
- Fluency in French and English with excellent writing skills;
- Proficiency in word processing, the use of Excel, and data analysis.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
You have been a Chief of Party of a large complex project or Country Director or Resident Advisor of a large development organization before. You can manage a diverse team of professionals to achieve results.
You have experience in building technical, management and leadership capacity.
You can inspire a shared vision for staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
You have experience identifying business opportunities in the health sector or securing funds from a wide range of donors.