Senior Malaria Technical Advisor I, PMI Evolve
Based in Washington, D.C. or anywhere PSI has a registered office
10-25% international travel
Work From Almost Anywhere Status = Eligible
Reports to: Director, Malaria & WASH
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 4,500 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 35 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Working across 23 countries in sub-Saharan Africa as well as Cambodia, the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative’s (PMI) Preventing Malaria through Vector Control (PMVC) project is equipping countries to plan and implement safe, cost-effective, and sustainable life-saving malaria vector control interventions with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Proven to reduce malaria illness, severe disease, and death due to malaria in endemic areas, insecticide-treated nets (ITNs) protect people while they are sleeping from the bite of mosquitoes. PMI PMVC supports ministries of health to achieve and maintain universal coverage of ITNs, delivered through all available channels. In some of the most remote areas of the world, PMI PMVC is building capacity for evidence-based policy and decision-making to increase ITN access and use.
PSI seeks a Senior Malaria Technical Advisor I, PMI PMVC, who will support the technical functions of the PMI PMVC project, including leading or managing the implementation of technical activities in line with PMI and global best practices. The successful candidate may lead the design of technical activities and strategy of the project. The successful candidate will also be an internal and external thought leader in their field and may lead internal capacity building efforts across the PSI network.
• Technical: Lead or manage the development of the project’s technical activities and strategy. Provide remote and in-country technical assistance to build capacity of PMI PMVC buy-in countries to effectively deliver results in line with the PMI PMVC project mandate, global best practices, and the project’s technical strategy. Analyze evidence to determine best practices. Provide ITN technical expertise for the project. Lead development and implementation of project workplans in collaboration with program management team. Manage report writing and development of technical guidance. (35% of the time)
• Representation: Engage with donors and represent PMI PMVC in external forums such as VCWG and ASTMH. Convey PMI PMVC’s work in written and verbal form. Participate in technical conversations and meetings convened by PMI. (20% of the time)
• Thought Leadership / Knowledge Management: Engage with other departments within PSI and contribute to internal decision-making as a subject matter expert. Engage externally to represent PMI PMVC and demonstrate technical expertise, capacity and experience in Vector Control. Develop new tools/frameworks or content for publications, as requested by the client, PMI (e.g. blogs, manuscripts, etc.) that demonstrate PMI PMVC’s technical expertise and experience in ITNs. (15% of the time)
• Program Management: manage technical workstreams. Provide subject matter expertise while ensuring that all milestones and deliverables are met. (20% of the time)
• People Management: may manage people; provide coaching and mentoring to staff. (10% of the time)
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change. This is also not an exhaustive list of all tasks that an incumbent is expected to perform but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the job. The incumbent may be asked to perform duties not included above. PSI reserves the right to revise job profiles at any time based on changes to the required job responsibilities.
What are we looking for?
• Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., MPH, MSc, MPP, MPA, MBA)
• At least 10 years of related experience. An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
• Demonstrate advanced technical knowledge in relevant technical area.
• Ability to contribute to thought leadership in relevant technical area.
• Ability to contribute to the internal and external body of evidence in relevant technical area.
• Ability to provide technical assistance to PSI network.
• Ability to share knowledge internally and externally with global communities of practice; represents PSI externally.
• Ability to solve problems with creativity and analyze complex issues using in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
• Ability to operate with minimal supervision and considerable latitude for independent judgement to achieve desired outcomes.
• Ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external colleagues. Able to work as a member of a team and independently.
• Ability to lead development of technical approach for proposals and identify potential new business opportunities.
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability.
• Demonstrate emotional intelligence and ability to collaborate with colleagues.
• Proficiency in Microsoft 365. Familiarity with a quantitative or qualitative data analysis program preferred.
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Proficiency in French preferred but not essential.
• Cultural humility and respect.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
PSI has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate to provide a hazard free employment and work environment in our commitment to our employees. Candidates offered a position will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to their start date and their employment will be contingent on this. Candidates needing a medical or religious accommodation should let their recruiter know.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.