With an annual budget of $2.3 billion and more than 6,000 employees throughout the five boroughs, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH) is one of the largest public health agencies in the world, serving 8 million New Yorkers from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. We’re tackling a broad range of public health issues with innovative policies and programs and getting exceptional results, but our work is never finished. The breadth of our innovative programs provides the widest range of choices for every member of our team.
Since January 2020, DOHMH has been fighting the COVID-19 pandemic- activities include but are not limited to: surveillance & epidemiological investigations; lab testing; engaging and providing guidance to healthcare partners; ensuring the safety & health of responders; providing timely and accurate information to the public; promoting the emotional health of New Yorkers and coordinating citywide COVID-19 vaccine administration. With grant funds from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), DOHMH is undertaking a new initiative to establish, expand, train, and sustain the public health workforce to support jurisdictional COVID-19 prevention, preparedness, response, and recovery initiatives over 2 years.
The selected candidate will be an employee of Public Health Solutions, a nonprofit organization which is the fiscal and administrative manager of the grant, but work will be supervised by DOHMH. This is a grant-funded position ending June 30, 2023.
This position is critical to support the core functions of the Bureau of Human Resources, Workforce Analytics Unit.
The Bureau of Human Resources and Labor Relations provides effective human resource management by developing and implementing policies, programs and services in support of the values, vision and mission of the agency. We attract, hire, and develop quality staff to provide an array of public health and mental health services and develop and manage Human Resource Information Systems to better streamline our transactional and reporting capabilities. Our HR Workforce Analytics Unit drives HR business process improvements including systems automation. This includes providing HR workforce reporting analytic solutions and visualizations, fulfilling day-to-day data analysis requests across the agency, overseeing user permission access authorization for HR Central applications.
Summary of Position:
The Bureau of Human Resources and Labor Relations, Workforce Analytics Unit is seeking a Business Intelligence Tableau Developer to join our team. Our team relies heavily on completing complex and high visibility reporting and analytic tasks sometimes with quick turnaround. This position is critical for the success of business decisions made by the bureau, senior management, and leadership. This position will report directly to the Deputy Director and will help to meet time sensitive complex demands, and high priority projects at times with short deadlines. The position is important to assist us with all COVID-19 projects, new needs and other initiatives.
Specifically, the Business Intelligence Tableau Developer will:
• Work with all HR cross-functional teams, and other key stakeholders across the agency to identify and implement improvements within HR business process, COVID-19 compliance management, Incident Command System Logistics, and other initiatives.
• Develop, maintain, and manage advanced reporting, analytics, dashboards and other BI solutions for scalability, manageability, extensibility, performance, and re-use.
• Work through iterative review cycles to deliver results that meet or exceed user expectations.
• Perform and document data analysis, data validation, and data mapping/design.
• Review and improve existing systems and collaborate with teams to integrate new systems.
• Conduct unit tests and developing database queries and objects to analyze the effects and troubleshoot any issues.
• Migrate or replicate existing SSRS reports to Tableau environment.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Develop requirement documents, prepare design specification, document existing data transmission, loading and reporting processes.
• Establish and monitor best practices, policies, procedures and documentation for HR Analytics new solutions in our data warehouse.
• Ensure a consistent design and/or approach for analytics solutions.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelors or Advanced Degree in Information Systems, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field is a plus, but not required.
• 4-5 years of experience as a dedicated Tableau Developer.
• Knowledge of Tableau Server, Tableau Online and Tableau Desktop.
• Extensive experience in developing, maintaining, and managing Tableau-driven dashboards & analytics.
• Working knowledge of Tableau administrator/architecture.
• Advanced Tableau development skills required.
• Understanding of advanced calculations and statistical functions.
• Extensive understanding of SQL, rational databases, and normalization.
• Proficiency in use of query and reporting analysis tools, preferably MS SQL Manager.
• High level of competency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
• Proven ability to work with business owners in identifying and reporting dashboard requirements.
• Exemplary oral and written communications skills, with the ability to translate technical concepts to non-technical community.
• Ability to independently manage and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
• High attention to detail, data confidentiality, and accuracy.
• This individual will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies.
• Preference may be given to individuals residing in New York City (5 boroughs) or surrounding New York State counties.
• This is a temporary grant-funded position ending June 30, 2023.
• This individual must reside in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) by their confirmed start date.
NOTE: All applicants must comply with PHS’ vaccination policy. Effective October 1, 2021, employees will be required to provide verification that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with an FDA-authorized vaccine).
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.
About Public Health Solutions
Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory and support New Yorkers and their families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential. As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. Learn more about our work at healthsolutions.org.