Public Health Solutions’ (PHS’) Development and Marketing Department is made up of five full-time professionals, including a VP of Development and Communications, Director of Communications, Director of Development, Development Specialist, and Communications Specialist. The Department is responsible for creating and executing communication strategies to generate awareness among various stakeholders, and to drive fundraising efforts among individuals, corporations, and private foundations to support for PHS’ work in helping New York City’s under resourced communities achieve optimal health.
Public Health Solutions (PHS) seeks an experienced fundraising and communications executive to lead development – including individual, corporate, and foundation support – and communications, marketing, and media relations initiatives as the Vice President (VP) of Development and Communications. The VP is a key leadership position reporting directly to the President and CEO and will lead initiatives that advance unrestricted giving, expand supporters, build brand recognition, strengthen marketing and communications, and foster strategic partnerships.
The position is critical to the fulfillment of PHS’ mission and vision focused on building health equity in New York City. As a trusted advisor and a member of PHS’ Executive Team, the VP will work closely with the President and CEO in fundraising and function collaboratively with services, policy, legal, finance, and operations departments to inform the organization’s strategic direction and plan.
The VP will lead a department of four full-time development and communications professionals and a media relations firm to reach PHS’ aspirational objectives through strong and innovative leadership of external relations. The successful candidate must be able to translate strategic plans into specific short- and long-term objectives and define metrics and accountabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, lead, and execute PHS’ development plan for raising $1.5-2 million annual unrestricted income, expanding PHS’ base of individual and corporate supporters, increasing overall support, and diversifying revenue streams with a focus on growing private contributions.
- Direct the development team in major gift strategies, special donor events, and fundraising appeals and campaigns to reach and/or exceed annual revenue goal.
- In partnership with the President and CEO, cultivate and steward meaningful relationships with PHS’ Board of Directors to identify pathways that enhance their contributions and engagement; and strategize Board expansion with an eye on diversity.
- Manage two full-time fundraising professionals and a grant writer consultant in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual, corporate, and foundation donors.
- Own a portfolio of key strategic partnerships, individual donors, and/or corporate relationships with capacity to make six-figure gifts.
- Oversee strategy and execution of PHS’ annual gala/campaign in reaching revenue goal and advancing donor engagement beyond one-time gifts.
- Work with the Director of Individual Giving and a grant writer to expand support from private foundations.
- Establish metrics and KPIs for the Development team and its individual members; and ensure accountability for their attainment.
- Actively evaluate the success of existing fundraising strategies and continually integrate new approaches and strategies to grow unrestricted revenue annually.
- Serve as the brand champion at all levels of the organization to cultivate productive internal and external relationships across key stakeholders, including staff, Board of Directors, and key external influencers.
- Oversee a two-person Communications team in directing strategies for PHS’ multi-channel distribution of key messaging, marketing/advertising campaigns, collateral, website and social media content.
- Direct public relations firm in proactively generating press coverage about PHS’ work and advocacy; submitting award/recognitions; coordinating public presentations; and disseminating position statements, press releases, and quotes from PHS’ President and CEO.
- Support the communications team in creating and managing a robust digital and social media strategy that expands followers and raises PHS’ public profile among key influencers.
- Use data, analytics and insights from digital marketing campaigns, Google analytics, Sprout Social, and other resources to determine successes and develop improvements for future endeavors.
- Oversee internal communications, including the creation and execution of staff calls, production of a monthly internal newsletter, and email outreach to staff regarding internal policies and other major announcements, as needed.
- Provide executive leadership and strategic direction to the Development and Marketing (DM) team, including direct supervision of the Director of Development and the Director of Communications.
- Mentor and develop DM staff using a supportive and collaborative approach that emboldens team members to think strategically and execute successful initiatives.
- Serve as a vital member of the Executive Team with shared responsibility for setting and achieving the organization’s goals and strategies and providing guidance on communications and fundraising.
- Direct PHS’ Development and Marketing Committee, made up of Board members and communications and fundraising professionals, in quarterly meetings focused on building strategies to raise funds and position PHS as leading public health charity.
- Play a key strategic role in supporting PHS’ positioning as leader in health equity and advocate of racial equity by mobilizing stakeholders to support opportunities that address health disparities in communities of color in New York City.
- Provide oversight and support to various fundraising, communications, and public relations consultants.
- Manage the day-to-day administration of all Development and Marketing Operations, including Raiser’s Edge database management and data integrity; DM processes and policies; and finance and legal documentation.
- Oversee DM budget and coordinate changes and projections with finance team, including quarterly budget reconciliations.
- Oversee up-to-date production calendar and work plans for all DM projects, including events, mailings, campaigns, grant proposals, marketing projects, and collateral.
- Provide weekly reports to the President and CEO; participate in weekly Executive Team meetings; attend bi-weekly Senior Management Meetings; and oversee and manage monthly All-Staff Meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and 10+ years leadership experience and knowledge of the full spectrum of nonprofit development and communications, including gift solicitations, stewardship, fundraising events/campaigns, media relations, social media and digital communications/marketing.
- Experience developing and executing comprehensive fundraising and communications plans that engage external partners, Board members and the president and CEO.
- Track record of securing six-figure gifts from private donors, cultivating small donors into making major gifts, and growing an organization’s donor pool year after year.
- Knowledge of the ever-evolving philanthropic landscape, specifically as it relates to individual donors, corporate partners, foundations, giving trends, and charitable contributions in the public health and social service space.
- A good understanding of nonprofit branding, media relations, social media and marketing, and proven experience in integrating communications/marketing with fundraising to inspire giving.
- Skilled in creating and managing innovative fundraising and public awareness campaigns and donor events (including galas) that inspire giving.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills, with the ability to share PHS’ story in a compelling and insightful way among key stakeholders.
- Adept in translating complex plans and strategies into clear and concise narratives that engage a variety of supporters.
- Strong project management skills with excellent attention to detail and the ability to lead a DM team in creating and implementing innovative solutions to meet organizational needs.
- Possesses a positive attitude, entrepreneurial spirit, and enjoyment in nonprofit fundraising and communications.
NOTE: All applicants must comply with PHS’ vaccination policy. Effective October 1, 2021, employees will be required to provide verification that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (with an FDA-authorized vaccine).
PHS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals, and veterans.
About Public Health Solutions
Health disparities among New Yorkers are large, persistent and increasing. Public Health Solutions (PHS) exists to change that trajectory and support New Yorkers and their families in achieving optimal health and building pathways to reach their potential. As the largest public health nonprofit serving New York City, we improve health outcomes and help communities thrive by providing services directly to low-income families, supporting community-based organizations through our long-standing public-private partnerships, and bridging the gap between healthcare and community services. We focus on a wide range of public health issues including food and nutrition, health insurance, maternal and child health, sexual and reproductive health, tobacco control, and HIV/AIDS. Learn more about our work at healthsolutions.org.