Disease Intervention Specialist
The Richmond and Henrico Health Districts are currently recruiting for several Health Counselor/Disease Intervention Specialists. The primary responsibility in this role is to independently and effectively perform disease intervention activities. These activities include, but are not limited to: notifying persons diagnosed with or at risk for STI/HIV/hepatitis or other communicable diseases; providing partner services to diagnosed individuals and their partners; assisting with linkage to care; and providing risk reduction education to clients at high risk of infection. The incumbent will be expected to provide HIV/STI education and counseling in a culturally competent manner in various clinical and community based settings to a wide range of audiences.
Duties include, but are not limited to: interviewing patients and partners regarding STI/HIV information; analyzing and investigating cases of communicable diseases; providing education and risk reduction counseling; performing phlebotomy in community and clinical settings; documenting all investigative activities on appropriate forms and medical records; providing educational presentations to a wide range of audiences. Occasional overnight travel may be required. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required. Individual must be able/willing to travel for one week for required training. Employer will cover travel costs.
- Knowledge of public health practices and/or STDs and HIV.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience conducting investigations and/or research.
- Ability to work in various settings including clinic and field.
- Strong computer skills in various computer programs and databases.
- Experience working independently and cooperatively with clients, healthcare providers and other human services organizations.
- Must be able to successfully complete required training programs offered by VDH and the CDC.
- Valid Virginia driver’s license required.
- Experience as an STD Disease Intervention Specialist (DIS).
- Completion of CDC’s Passport to Partner Services or Introduction to Sexually Transmitted Disease Intervention (ISTDI) training.
- Degree in Public Health, Health Education, or related field.
- Experience performing phlebotomy.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
This is a contract position with a pay rate up to $25.00/hour. Paid leave is not included, however optional health insurance is available through the contracting agency.
Please apply through Indeed via this link: https://www.indeed.com/job/health-counselordisease-intervention-specialist-3e341aca9308a844
About Richmond Henrico Health District
The Henrico County & Richmond City Health Districts (HCHD & RCHD) are sister districts that are a part of the Virginia Department of Health (VDH). Both districts exist to protect and improve the health of their residents by providing clinical services, nutrition counseling, environmental health services, vital records, disease prevention and monitoring, emergency planning, and many other health-related programs.