Senior Research Study Coordinator for Seattle NODES
(Network of Dedicated Enrollment Sites)
CSP#2023: PREventing liver cancer Mortality through Imaging with Ultrasound vs. MRI (PREMIUM STUDY)
Do you want to be a part of improving the healthcare of our United States Veterans through meaningful work in a collaborative environment? The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Cooperative Studies Program (CSP) is a nationally renowned program that produces innovative solutions for Veteran and national healthcare problems through multi-site research studies.
The Seattle Network of Dedicated Enrollment Sites (NODES) is recruiting a full-time position that will provide research coordination for CSP #2023, PREventing liver cancer Mortality through Imaging with Ultrasound vs. MRI (PREMIUM STUDY). CSP #2023 is a randomized control trial comparing ultrasound and alpha-fetoprotein blood testing to abbreviated MRI and alpha-fetoprotein blood testing. Patients with cirrhosis who have a high risk of liver cancer will be tested every 6 months. The Research Study Coordinator will work closely with the Seattle NODES Research Program Manager and the Local Site Investigator. This position is based in Seattle, WA. The Seattle NODES is 1 of 23 NODES sites within the CSP.
· Manage the daily operations of CSP #2023 at VA Puget Sound Health Care System (Seattle and American Lake) and assure the success of recruiting and collecting research data from study participants.
· Under the direction of the NODES Research Program Manager, participates in all aspects of conducting clinical research which includes but is not limited to: feasibility assessments, screening/recruiting potential study participants, obtaining informed consent, enrollment, randomization, scheduling research appointments, data collection, study procedures, study surveys, collection/processing of biospecimens, reporting study adverse events/side effects and completing appropriate study documentation for CSP research studies in-person or over the telephone.
· Specific tasks needed for CSP #2023, include but are not limited to:
o Recruitment of study participants
o Preparing and tracking study mailings
o Conducting telephone calls with participants for follow up
o Performing study visits, including blood draws
o Accurate data entry into study databases
o Some local travel using a federal agency car will be required
· Manage and coordinate site-specific activities as required in coordination with the Local Site Investigator and the Program Manager.
· Track study progress and ensure timely completion of communications with the coordinating center.
Prepares study materials including, but not limited to, regulatory paperwork, informed consent documents, case report forms (CRFs), enrollment logs, participant reimbursement forms, and drug/device accountability logs.
Establishes and organizes study files, including but not limited to, regulatory binders, study specific source documentation and other materials.
Assists in the development and implementation of clinical research standard operating procedures and policies, quality assurance and quality control activities.
Attends study and center meetings, as required.
· Provides training and technical guidance to research team members regarding regulations, policies, and procedures applicable to the conduct of the research.
· Stays up to date on federal rules and regulations and VA, ORD, CSP, and local VA policies and procedures as they relate to research, privacy, and data sharing; oversees NODES regulatory processes; assists with responses to complex and nuanced regulatory inquiries, including responding to research incidents and preparing for audits
· Performs other related duties as outlined in research protocols, and other duties as assigned.
· BA/BS or higher degree in a scientific- or health-related field
· 3-5 years of work experience in clinical, epidemiological, or health services research
o If BA/BS, 3-5 years of research-related experience required
o If higher degree, 2-3 years of research-related experience preferred
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with a diverse group of researchers and staff
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
· Solid problem-solving and critical thinking skills
· Excellent time management skills
· Ability to adapt to changing priorities and timelines
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
· Experience coordinating and executing large-scale research studies
· Institutional knowledge of VA and/or CSP research operations
· Knowledge of REDCap and Microsoft Access
· Experience working with underserved and/or Veteran populations
· Experience in Phlebotomy, biology specimen collection, transport, and shipping
Possession of valid driver’s license, as this position may require driving between the American Lake and Seattle VA, or other local VA locations
There may be travel opportunities for national CSP research meetings and to regional sites.
Candidates must be US citizens. Depending on the candidate’s experience, the target salary will be in the GS-9 to GS-11 range according to the Office of Personnel Management General Schedule table at opm.gov.
Please send a cover letter and resume to SeattleCSPEC@va.gov. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about the CSP NODES, please see Network of Dedicated Enrollment Sites (NODES) – VA Cooperative Studies Program (CSP).
Diversity enriches research and promotes the best healthcare. We are committed to building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive environment for our NODES. We encourage individuals whose backgrounds or interests align with this commitment, as well as individuals from all backgrounds that are underrepresented in research, to apply.
About Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center (ERIC), Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
About the Seattle ERIC and VA CSP:
The Seattle ERIC is a research center within the VA Puget Sound Health Care System that works to improve the healthcare of Veterans through epidemiologic research. We are part of the VA CSP, a national VA research group of 12 epidemiology and clinical trial research centers.
Learn more at:
Seattle ERIC website: https://www.seattle.eric.research.va.gov/
VA CSP website: https://www.vacsp.research.va.gov/