Public Health Nurse
Tulsa City-County Health Department
DIVISION: PREVENTIVE HEALTH SERVICES – CLINICAL SERVICES
Primarily responsible for providing public health nursing services to the public and is involved in community health activities.
The following functions represent the majority of the duties performed by the position, but is not meant to be all-inclusive or prevent other duties from being assigned when necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Interviews patients to obtain medical history and update records; and explains medical forms and assists patient in the form completion.
2. Reviews client’s admission paperwork, eligibility criteria, BCD and fee payments to determine
the correct public or private funding resources to utilize. Completes BCD and client medical
records to indicate service(s) provided per clinic visit.
3. Maintains accurate product inventory. Follows quality assurance protocol for safe handling and
storage of biologicals.
4. Reviews and evaluates immunization records, and administers immunizations.
5. Performs assessment, testing, screening, and treatment services to clients utilizing the Physician Approved Protocols.
6. Collects and prepares lab specimens as needed and per established guidelines; and completes necessary requisition for specific lab tests to assure proper routing of all specimens.
7. Applies knowledge of all contraceptive methods, including emergency contraception and sterilization in the provision of comprehensive family planning options/procedures counseling.
8. Recommends, counsels and administers medication and treatment; and provides instruction on medical procedures to patients according to Physician Approved Protocols.
9. Performs adult health screening for cholesterol, anemia, blood pressure, blood sugar and the presence of cervical cancer; and teaches breast self-examination and does clinical breast exams.
10. Documents clinic visits and follow-up action, prepares and sends correspondence for follow-up and maintains clinic records.
11. Receives calls from patients and counsels regarding problems, follows up on missed appointments and abnormal pap/laboratory results and maintains necessary records.
12. Extends clinical service and community outreach by assisting with provision of health education,
limited screenings or immunizations at local health fairs, schools and Caring Van sites.
13. Participates in orientation process of new staff and students.
14. Participates in Health Department meetings and community meetings related to health center
15. Completes required training in support of duties and responsibilities of this position.
16. Other duties as assigned including those required to fulfill activities in support of public health
emergency response operations.
Education: Baccalaureate degree in nursing preferred.
Experience: Two years of experience as a professional Registered Nurse preferred.
Skills and Knowledge:
Knowledge of the principles and practices of professional nursing, particularly relating to public health nursing.
Skills in interacting with patients of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Counseling and providing health education and in providing skilled nursing care; and in listening, paying attention to details, and retaining information.
Work independently with minimum of supervision.
Interactive relationship to work with team members and other staff.
Good writing, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
Skills required interviewing patients, explaining medications, and gaining acceptance of recommendations.
Computer skills in data entry, MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
Possession of a permanent registered nurse license issued by the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing is required.
Valid Oklahoma driver’s license.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Frequent internal contact with nurses and other personnel to discuss patient follow-up, records and referrals.
Frequent external contact with private providers, community programs, schools and other agencies to obtain information, to provide patient referrals and to coordinate programs.
Direct Supervision – None.
Indirect Supervision – Student nurses.
Budget/Money/Material – Responsible for assigned equipment.
Reports to – Manager or Supervisor, Clinical Services
Occasionally physical effort is required to assist heavy clients (up to 300 lbs.) during physical examinations and move equipment in the client’s home up to 30 lbs. Physical effort may be required to move chairs and equipment weighing up to approximately 30 lbs.
Regular exposure to communicable disease, contaminated blood, and other body fluids during the course specimen collection for laboratory analysis. High volume and fast-paced clinic.
Must maintain THD record confidentiality according to HIPAA regulations.
Must possess ability and willingness to perform job-related travel.
FLSA Status: Exempt
About Tulsa Health Department
With its rich history, beautiful surroundings and friendly faces, Tulsa is a great place to call home. Community spirit runs deep here and our residents take pride in taking care of their own. At THD, we're impacting positive change through our constant pursuit of a healthier Tulsa.